Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk152

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I just started using a program called, "minitube". Here is the the developer's webpage, http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube. It is essentially a desktop program for watching YouTube videos. I don't know how Flavio does it, but I can watch YouTube videos without Flash.

Since Flash was what made my MBA so hot and irritating, minitube made my MBA so cool. Yesterday I was able to watch 2 hours of Youtube without hearing fan noise. Temp remained in 120-130F range. I highly recommend it.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Adobe Flash Player 10.1

You might also try the beta Adobe Flash Player 10.1. Using it, my rev A MBA handles full-screen HD video from YouTube without issue right inside a browser. This is not true of Flash Player 10 which stutters and causes my MBA to heat up.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Well YouTube has everything transcoded to H.264 do to the iPhone and the deal they made with Apple.

So you can with ClickToFlash download those H.264s or launch YouTube videos in Quicktime - so I would imagine this is the same thing done by this developer.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Im amazed at how much better adobe 10.1 beta really is compared to 10 on the machine now. Watching youtube videos really does run much cooler! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.