Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
I just read this on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106797

I've noticed that my computer hangs on startup at "Initializing Network". It says in the AppleCare Knowledge Base Document to make sure that you a have a DNS entry entered into your Network system preference panel.

How do I find my DNS? Is it possible to find this without going directly to my Internet Service Provider? Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Draft

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
You should use the DNS server addresses that your ISP provides you with. It's usually on their web site, or you can call their support. That's what I did with Earthlink when I set up my Newton MP 2100 to connect to the internet a couple months ago. :cool:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Something you really need to watch out for with X is network status when you boot.

I've had Apple reps tell me that sometimes if you're not connected to a 'Net connection and your Mac goes out looking for one it can cause a good deal of lag and flakiness.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Is there any way to find the DNS number without going to my ISP? I tried using my Network Utility, but I'm not sure how to get my DNS number from it. I'm guessing that you can get it from there though.

Thanks,
Draft

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The DNS is the name of the server, which translates to its IP address.

What kind of connection are you on? Cable/DSL connections will take a new IP address every time you reboot, unless you have a router and/or your ISP has given you a static IP address.

You probably just want to set everything to DHCP and let the server assign everything for you.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Usually you can assign one DNS and it will work, unless it's a big system and they assign them each time you sign on... To find your current DNS...

While connected, start Terminal

Type
nslookup http://www.apple.com

it will give you your DNS first, then the IP address of apple.com. Use the numbers for the address of your DNS.

Hope this helps!!

:)
pnw

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Usually you can assign one DNS and it will work, unless it's a big system and they assign them each time you sign on... To find your current DNS...

While connected, start Terminal

Type
nslookup http://www.apple.com

it will give you your DNS first, then the IP address of apple.com. Use the numbers for the address of your DNS.

Hope this helps!!

:)
pnw

Or, if you don't like the Terminal, use the Network Utility app in the Utilities folder in Applications.:D

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Will adding the DNS info into the Network Systems Preferences help anything? I'm using DHCP, does anyone else using DHCP enter their DNS info into the Network prefs?

Thanks,
Draft

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Draft
Will adding the DNS info into the Network Systems Preferences help anything? I'm using DHCP, does anyone else using DHCP enter their DNS info into the Network prefs?

Thanks,
Draft

Nope, on machines I have set up with DHCP (home and work) I don't touch any of the other settings.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Like, I said in my first post, one of the main things that will cause a hang at startup is X looking for a non-existent internet connection.

I've only seen it happen a couple times.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
I just found out about the Network update. I hope this fixes some of the problems that I've been having with my connection.

Draft

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Just an FYI. I got my DNS address, and it didn't help startup time. I think that the Apple Knowledge Base article was for people having actual problems, not slow startups. Thanks for all of the help though.

Draft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.