Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
so i have a powermac g4 sawtooth that ive done a number of upgrades to, but im wondering... is there a new(er) logic board that will fit into the powermac and possibly be intel compatible?

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
i know that, im just curious, would it be possible to fit a modern motherboard into that case? basically turning it into a hackintosh?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Not without a lot of work. I'm pretty sure it's been done but those cases (and the Apple logic boards) are not ATX standard so it's not like the screw holes/apertures for ports etc line up.

Edit to add: for example

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Not without a lot of work. I'm pretty sure it's been done but those cases (and the Apple logic boards) are not ATX standard so it's not like the screw holes/apertures for ports etc line up.

Edit to add: for example

yeah thats what i was wondering... thanks

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The machine is probably done. Any way you look it it, buying a PC or a real Intel Mac is going to be cheaper.

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
The machine is probably done. Any way you look it it, buying a PC or a real Intel Mac is going to be cheaper.

yeah your right about that.. really there is no point to it, im not going to, i was more or less just curious

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You can do it but it's a lot of work. If it's a hobby type thing, I say go for it.

You'll need to pick up a new power supply as well, though, as even if you get a 20-pin ATX mobo, the wire configuration is different (I modded an ATX to work with a sawtooth, not a big deal but involved killing a line and splicing another).

Post pics if you decide to go through with it!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Have a fried with an upgraded 500ghz Powermac G4 to Sonnet 1.8ghz G4 and upgraded video card.

He's very happy.

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Have a fried with an upgraded 500ghz Powermac G4 to Sonnet 1.8ghz G4 and upgraded video card.

He's very happy.

yeah ive upgraded the processor to a sonnet 1.0ghz and a nicer graphics card... the dual core 1.8 is so damn expensive it makes no sense to buy it at all IMO...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.