Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strikeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
Recently had total disaster. My backup disk started flaking out. I reformatted, but before I could backup again, the disk containing all my Aperture masters died! I was able to restore some of the masters from an older backup, but there are still a lot of photos which have now disappeared to photo heaven.

However, since Aperture kindly generated previews for all of my photos, I actually have decent quality jpegs even of these lost photos. My question is, can I at least export these jpegs so I have something I can share with my friends?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Recently had total disaster. My backup disk started flaking out. I reformatted, but before I could backup again, the disk containing all my Aperture masters died! I was able to restore some of the masters from an older backup, but there are still a lot of photos which have now disappeared to photo heaven.

However, since Aperture kindly generated previews for all of my photos, I actually have decent quality jpegs even of these lost photos. My question is, can I at least export these jpegs so I have something I can share with my friends?

If you show the contents of the aperture library in finder, I am pretty sure you will find your previews. iirc though, the filenames are not ideal. Good luck.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
the disk containing all my Aperture masters died!

Died in what way? Depending on the cause of death, revival is anything from possible to easy. I've done lots of disk recoveries from the freezer trick to swapping out the controller boards- as long as it's not a motor or a head crash there's at least a chance of getting it back without serious expense.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I would try to recover them off the reformatted disk before doing anything else with that disk. Reformatting should not get rid of the files themselves. Leave something like scandisk recovery software running on the disk for a few days.
I would also bin the backup disk afterwards. In my experience when a disk starts to do odd things its the start of the end. Better to get everything off and replace it. Disks are cheap.
Start looking at your backup strategy from now on. These days I have 3 copies before erasing CF cards. I have 2 copies in a RAID mirror and one off-site backup on an automated backup routine.

Oh, on previews, as others said, you can browse the aperture library for the jpg files. You can't export from aperture but you can grab a preview from aperture and drag and drop it onto the desktop

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC

I believe that if you import the photos into iPhoto using the "Show Aperture Library" feature, it imports the jpg previews created by Aperture, not the masters, so you should be able to quickly recover the previews.

And definitely try the freezer trick to see if you can resuscitate the dead drive.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space

You only had one copy of your masters on a back-up disc?

Then it wasn't the back-up disc, but the original, and you had none on your main hard drive?

What kind of hard drive was it?

It could just be the enclosure. Take drive out, put it into new enclosure, and maybe it works. A good many a time it's the enclosure that fails, not the drive.

Or is it such a cheap drive?

niteshade

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
Thanks

I believe that if you import the photos into iPhoto using the "Show Aperture Library" feature, it imports the jpg previews created by Aperture, not the masters, so you should be able to quickly recover the previews.

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else has this problem...

@glennp, this worked for me... Long lost drive, pictures in Aperture previews only. THANK YOU FOR THE IDEA TO EXPORT TO IPHOTO. I only had to drag them into iPhoto, and I could export them from there... even kept basic metadata.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.