Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
For a while I've been using ePSXe under Windows to play PSX games and the really nice Pete's graphics plug-in would up the resolution on 3D shapes, making games look much better. Does anyone know if there are similar plug-ins for PCSX Reloaded for OS X?

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Really? No one to even tell me "no, it's impossible"? Googling it didn't really help as most plug-ins don't state whether or not they are for OS X PCSX, and I'm not sure where to find out if regular PCSX plug-ins run in PCSX Reloaded.

Has interest in Playstation 1 games really diminished enough that no one on these forums keeps up to date on PSX emulators?

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Dude, it's been less than 2 hours since you posted a question that not many people would know, give it time.

It was actually about 14 hrs. Notice the PM vs AM. But yeah, I definitely don't want to be that guy that "bumps" a post after less than two hours. Thanks for the bump, btw!

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
pretty sure that pcsx hasn't been updated in years, so i doubt you'll find anything useful.

PCSX Reloaded was released for Intel Macs a few weeks ago and it seems better than PCSX (the Windows version came out about a year ago). I've been posting on forums to try to find out about plug-ins, but no on with answers either way has replied yet.

wamdan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
I don't know much about PCSX, but I tried it yesterday in fact, which is how I've arrived at this post. But under strenuous testing, I've came to the conclusion that the graphics are somewhat buggy, and some games are somewhat unstable. Silent Hill runs super quick, and Crash Team Racing does not display models correctly, and sometimes in races, it doesn't display them at all, especially boxes for power-ups.

Now, upon these tests, I somehow arrived with Crossover Games 8.1.1 and ePCSe, which after around 10 hours of fixing (yep, I have way too much free time) I have it running almost perfect with Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.77 Video Plugin. Resolution set around 800x600, though these look pretty smooth compared to the mac version.

Now, I know that isn't what you are talking about, since this is about plugins. But I now have a transition layer (wine) running a windows app, running a playstation emulator with an xbox controller, all working pretty perfect to my standards.

And upon saying this, at the same time I almost got ePCSx 2 working, though the error it spits out is unlike an error that I myself (I'm crappy with computer) could fix. But I did get to the menu screen. :)

Though, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for PCSX Reloaded on the Mac, so i'll be looking out for it with future updates. Nothing works better than a Mac:apple: version. :)

wamdan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Right, now to see what I mean about the Mac's version of PCSX Reloaded and Crossover Games transition layer with ePSXe.

PCSX Reloaded on the left, ePSXe on the right.

Hopefully you can see that. Since I'm using Wine (Crossover Games) I can use any plugin to a certain degree.

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and upon loading the mac version, if I have the Mail app running, then it crashes. I'm guessing this has something to do with the sound.

Right, anyways, back onto plugins. I've looked though a many set, but I've only found a few, but those are for either sound or cdrom drive, so hopefully in the near future we may see some more.

Anyways, if someone wants it up and running with crossover games, I shall, hopefully, try and get something on here of how I did it. Crossover 7 might actually work pretty much out of the box, by the way.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I thought I'd give this thread a little closure. It appears that PCSX plugins will work for PCSX Reloaded. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone has created enhanced graphic drivers for any Mac version of PCSX. Cest la vie.

zosoaudo007

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
I thought I'd give this thread a little closure. It appears that PCSX plugins will work for PCSX Reloaded. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone has created enhanced graphic drivers for any Mac version of PCSX. Cest la vie.

http://www.emuasylum.com/index.php?page=emulators&system=Sony Playstation

I downloaded some stuff off of this site and have the graphics and sound drivers. They appear to be .dll file types. Don't know if the graphics or sound drivers will work on Mac...do you?

If it does, do you know where to find the plugin directory for pcsx? These files have to be dropped somewhere and I cannot figure out where.

I would love to soup up the graphics and sound for Final Fantasy VII. I never played the original, but this emulation sounds like total *****.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
All the .dll stuff is for Windows. OS X and Windows have completely different systems for handling graphics, so unless the graphics plugin or driver does software rendering and not hardware accelerated rendering, I doubt someone could port it from one platform to another.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
@wamdan

How did you get ePSXe running under Wine? I tried to do it today (with regular Wine and Winebottler, not Crossover) and haven't had any success. It says the bottling is successful, but then when I open ePSXe it doesn't give me the GUI.

SpeedofMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Canada
@wamdan

How did you get ePSXe running under Wine? I tried to do it today (with regular Wine and Winebottler, not Crossover) and haven't had any success. It says the bottling is successful, but then when I open ePSXe it doesn't give me the GUI.

It is possible to run the Windows version of PCSX-Reloaded (http://pcsxr.codeplex.com) using Wine and WineBottler, and PCSX-R uses the newest Pete's plugins.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Hi SpeedofMac. I actually tried to use your guide for bottling PCSX to do the same for ePSXe (which obviously didn't work for me.) Do you feel that PCSX-R for Windows has the same compatibility as ePSXe? Do Pete's graphics plugins look pretty much the same for both emulators? Maybe I should stop asking questions and just try it out...

wamdan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
@wamdan

While it is possible, I'm sure i installed other software (or dlls) to get it working. Hopefully, at some point in time, I shall make a new bottle and test it out. If you're trying it in wine (not the crossover one), then i'll try that one out at a later date.

Now, I am sure that some DLLS were missing, but i cannot remember which. I think I installed Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 express. Try and install these two and see how far you get. To do that, i think you can install it through wine bottle.

SpeedofMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Canada
Hi SpeedofMac. I actually tried to use your guide for bottling PCSX to do the same for ePSXe (which obviously didn't work for me.) Do you feel that PCSX-R for Windows has the same compatibility as ePSXe? Do Pete's graphics plugins look pretty much the same for both emulators? Maybe I should stop asking questions and just try it out...

As far as I know, the graphics should be identical. Both emulators use Pete's OpenGL Windows GPU Version 1.78 to render the graphics, and the graphics emulation is separate from the emulator itself.

I find that PCSX-R for Windows does everything that ePSXe can do. I think that the big difference between PCSX and ePSXe was that only ePSXe could run disk image files, but with PCSX-R, that's no longer the case.

SpeedofMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Canada

I got ePSXe 1.7 working. You need to put zlib.dll in the ePSXe folder (see http://forums.ngemu.com/epsxe-discussion/106182-zlib1-dll-not-found-fix-here.html), and in WineBottler, choose to run ePSXe directly in Wine, not to convert it to an OS X application. Does that work for you?

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
SpeedofMac, you are awesome! ePSXe works perfectly with the .dll and the OpenGL driver. One question: How do you get a USB control pad working under X11? I've Googled it and poked around in the input options and come up with nada.

SpeedofMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Canada
SpeedofMac, you are awesome! ePSXe works perfectly with the .dll and the OpenGL driver. One question: How do you get a USB control pad working under X11? I've Googled it and poked around in the input options and come up with nada.

Thanks! I've been searching long and hard on how to get a gamepad to work under X11. I know that keyboard mapping with USBOverdrive and Gamepad Companion work, but I haven't been able to find a native solution just yet. I'll keep looking, and I'll be sure to let everyone know if I find something!

doublea082

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
ePSXe problems

I need some help here, please bear with me as I am not a very experienced command line junkie in the least.

I installed Wine and Winebottler in an effort to get ePSXe working on my 13" MBPro. I followed the instructions I found from your posts and links, and then grabbed BIOS files, plugins (graphics, sound, cd-r), and the zlib folder and put them in their appropriate spot in a folder inside my Applications folder entitled 'ePSXe.'

I am currently running Snow Leopard, build 10.6.2, by the way.

When I created the new prefix in Winebottler, I selected 'copy' and chose the .exe file that came with my ePSXe 1.7 download. It created the prefix successfully, and then I started up Wine, and double-clicked on my new ePSXe .app while Wine was running the new prefix, and here is what happens:

ePSXe starts under X11, then quits immediately without loading a window/splash screen. There is no code posted or error message.

Please help. I really want to get this thing running and I'm sure it can work, although Crossover didn't seem to like the ePSXe executable file I used, either.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
If you just open it in Wine and not as a Mac app in Winebottler, it should work. You should delete ePSXe.app and just open ePSXe.exe with Wine.

SpeedofMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Canada
Last edited:

wearoscarwilde

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
FF Tactics Image problems

I have the newest version of PCSX Reloaded on my MacBook Pro and I've tried alternately to run directly from the CD and an iso image. The image quality is terrible with both - the text is completely unreadable. This is the first game I've tried to play using PCSX, and I have no clue as to what I might be doing wrong... Is there a plugin I'm missing, or..?

Ugh... I just tried to open the CD and the iso so I could show y'all a screenshot of what I'm talking about, and now PCSX isn't working at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.