Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CGDerupe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey All,

So my installation disc from Apple is not working and my hard drive is fine, so I was able to install Windows 7 into a separate partition. I have a Macbook Pro so it is definitely possible to install Snow Leopard OSX.

I have acquired a .dmg of the installation disc. I was wondering, is it possible to install this .dmg install file through the Windows 7 OS?

If so, please help by responding with an instructional guide as to how I can do this. I'm slightly computer inept, so the less complicated, the more helpful.

Thanks in advanced!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Apple will send you a replacement install disc if yours is damaged (for a small fee). Windows can't handle DMG files, only Macs can.

CGDerupe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Why is the installation disc not working? What happens when you insert it and startup holding "C"?

The installation will proceed but once it gets to the .pkgs, it says that there's something wrong with the software and that it can't continue to install...i'm sure it's the disc that has the problem.

Apple will send you a replacement install disc if yours is damaged (for a small fee). Windows can't handle DMG files, only Macs can.

Thanks for the update...however, how much is this small fee? And the last time I tried to call Apple, they said I would be charged due to not having a subscription to AppleCare...will they charge me if I merely call to get it replaced?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Thanks for the update...however, how much is this small fee? And the last time I tried to call Apple, they said I would be charged due to not having a subscription to AppleCare...will they charge me if I merely call to get it replaced?

I think I've heard elsewhere on the forums that it's $30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.