Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theRick119

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
The voice memo app is very useful and allowed me to easily record an hour and twenty minute conference call yesterday.

I'd like to be able to share that audio with some coworkers, but obviously I can't email it in 60 2 minutes clips :p

Anyone figured out a way to extract the audio onto a computer?

theRick119

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Outside of a hack there is no official way to do it. You'd have to e mail the voice memo to yourself then you could play it on the computer.

yeah the email thing wont work with a file this large.

I'm not opposed to hacking if it just means locating the file via terminal or something like that and not jailbreaking.. but I don't know if a terminal approach is possible either.

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Yes, this is a very real shortcoming for this App. Would be nice to send to computer via Quick Time.

mduncan06

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Yea...i found out how to yesterday. All you have to do is sync your iphone...itunes creates a playlist tab called "Voice Memos", and it pulls the voice memo from your phone to itunes. It becomes a regular itunes audio file.

theRick119

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Yea...i found out how to yesterday. All you have to d is sync your iphone...itunes creates a playlist tab called "Voice Memos", and it pulls the voice memo from your phone to itunes. It becomes a regular itunes audio file.

really? well that is perfect. i will have to wait until I get home tonight to experiment, but that is awesome.

theRick119

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Ah yes, I just opened iTunes on my work computer and see that "Sync Voice Memos" is an option under my phone in iTunes.

This isn't my local library so I can't actually do it, but looks like it'll work from home.

Thanks so much!

theRick119

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
If it's synced on iTunes, how do I share it with someone?

I'd assume you could just right click on the file and display it in finder/exporer and move/copy it like any other file at that point.

Oishii

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
The Use of Voice Memos

The voice memo app is very useful and allowed me to easily record an hour and twenty minute conference call yesterday.

I'd like to be able to share that audio with some coworkers, but obviously I can't email it in 60 2 minutes clips :p

Anyone figured out a way to extract the audio onto a computer?

Dear Rick,

Since you used it on a long conference record, Could you teach me how?

I tried on my and left my iphone in front of the conference table, and ...
around 30 mins, it stops itself and won't record anymore...
I tried two times, same thing happen,
iphone shut itself.
how to make it run for a little longer??

My iphone is 16GB, should have lots of space in it

Oishii

Please help

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Dear Rick,

iphone shut itself.

Oishii

Please help

How much space did the VM take? You need double that to record. If you don't have that it would stop when the space is taken up.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
Dear Rick,

iphone shut itself.

Oishii

Please help

Im not 100% percent sure but in settings you can turn off the display sleeping. maybe that is what stops the recording.

Oishii

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
Trying the Voice Memo

Im not 100% percent sure but in settings you can turn off the display sleeping. maybe that is what stops the recording.

Thank you IDanny and other friends, I am trying to let the recording on by letting the screen on all time, which means no sleeping mode.

It's now 38 mins, i hope it goes ... Thank you

Also, I wonder where to go to find out if I can change any time setting for the Voice Memo. What I meant is certain device has programmed a maximum recording time for 10 mins or maximum recording size per file. Is there any such thing in iphone??

Where to change it??

oh, the iphone stop itself again around 39 mins . Please Help...

Where can i go to change the screen saving mode without shutting down the iphone recording running... which means I can have whatever is downloading running at the same time ...and I would be able to go back after one click to the main button...

Please Help

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
I use app called 'mi mic', recordings can be called off via wifi, and can be set for vox operation. I have recorded for over 45 mins so far, not tried the max but a call to their support will confirm any limitations.

Oishii

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
voice Memeo features difficulties

I use app called 'mi mic', recordings can be called off via wifi, and can be set for vox operation. I have recorded for over 45 mins so far, not tried the max but a call to their support will confirm any limitations.

Apparently, I am sure of how to use mi mic, can anyone specify for me please. I am a iphone dummer, I am not sure what is vox. Can anyone guide me to any help line??

My ultimatium is to record a conference for minimum a hour using Voice Memo features...

Thank you

Anic297

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Switzerland
Yea...i found out how to yesterday. All you have to do is sync your iphone...itunes creates a playlist tab called "Voice Memos", and it pulls the voice memo from your phone to itunes. It becomes a regular itunes audio file.
Well, syncing an iPhone also means syncing the music library and I don't want that. I've put my iPhone in "Manually manage music and videos" mode and put my music as I want (I have 320 Gb of musics in my iTunes library; obviously, it does not fit in my iPhone). If I sync to get my voice memos, I'll also lose my existing playlists.

Amazing how it's hard to use an iPhone as one wants...

Lulu753

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
idk if this helps

Okay so I'm not sure if this helps but...
I was looking at making ringtones on my iphone and this might help you make future recordings sharable without doing anything to your phone. I could be completely not talking about your problem though, so bear with me.

I have this program called DVDVideosoft free studio. Look it up on google, it should be the first or second thing. Basically it's a free program that lets you change a type of file to another type.

Next, your iphone and itunes should be syncing your voice memos so that the files are stored somewhere on your computer. So go to your iphone/ipod info in itunes, it should be a page with some tabs at the top that say "info" "apps" "music" and so forth. Go to music and click "include voice memos."

If you have done this, the voice memos should appear under "music" in itunes. You will discover that now you can drag the files from itunes to your desktop. You can use the DVDsoft program to then convert it to mp3 if the original file format from the iphone does not work.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.