Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stampylisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
frozen IL tundra
Hi, I'm new here to this forum. I have an old (2002) iMac g4 powerpc running tiger.
First things first, Is there a way I can load Leopard w/o losing my stuff?

secondly- i am having LOTS of trouble w/my cd drive. It won't read a majority of the discs I try to load, either to iTunes or the digital software I want to load to do scrapbooks/calendars and cards. It gives me a warning that I loaded a blank DVD even though I know it's not blank. it attempts to load onto my friend's MacBook that has Leopard and now Snow Leopard on it, and it loaded just fine onto my work Dell pc. I can't afford a big fix or a new iMac at this time:( so I'm hoping that if my drive is failing, that I can affordably replace it in this machine.

Is there a guru out there that can help out a newbie?!?

thanks,
Lisa

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can do an upgrade installation of Leopard so everything will stay the the same. How about buying an USB DVD drive? That should work and they cost like 20$

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
yes leopard will walk (i avoid calling it running) when you hack a bit , but slow and even leopard is not able to fix a broken drive
and changing the drive is not a big or expensive thing on the iMac lamp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.