Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldfishcracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Hello,

I was hoping someone on here would be able to provide some assistance.

I just had a new DirecTV DVR (model: HR22-100) installed and noticed there was a USB port on the front side of the DVR. I searched online on DirecTV's website and noticed to connect the DVR to the my wireless network I would need to order an $80 Linksys Wireless Adapter. The goal of connecting the DVR to the Internet is to access DirecTV's ON DEMAND service.

Would a USB Wireless Adapter serve the same function? If so, is there a preferrable brand/model I should buy? How would then the Airport recognize the USB adapter (as my network is password protected)? Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently have a Macbook with the latest OS (10.6.2) connected to my Airport connected to my DSL modem.

I am extremely new to adding new devices (especially non-Apple devices) to my wireless network and will appreciate any and all assistance.

Thank you!

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Hello,

I just had a new DirecTV DVR (model: HR22-100) installed and noticed there was a USB port on the front side of the DVR. I searched online on DirecTV's website and noticed to connect the DVR to the my wireless network I would need to order an $80 Linksys Wireless Adapter. The goal of connecting the DVR to the Internet is to access DirecTV's ON DEMAND service.

Would a USB Wireless Adapter serve the same function? If so, is there a preferrable brand/model I should buy? How would then the Airport recognize the USB adapter (as my network is password protected)? Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently have a Macbook with the latest OS (10.6.2) connected to my Airport connected to my DSL modem.

I am extremely new to adding new devices (especially non-Apple devices) to my wireless network and will appreciate any and all assistance.

Thank you!
This is what I did. I bought a airport express, ran the cat 5 cable from that to the DVR. Works perfectly easy without messing with the USB ports on the DVR. As far as I know, they are non-functional anyway, at least to an end user. In the end you will end up paying about as much for the APE as you would the $80 on the USB thing that probably won't work. Plus, you can set up the APE from your laptop or desktop in about 5 seconds.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hello,

Thank you!
My understanding is that those USB ports are only good for service techs. (troubleshooting, updating firmware, etc.)

UPDATE: A quick google search shows that they ports can only be used to connect to an RS232 serial adapter to control the DVR with a PC.

goldfishcracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
This is what I did. I bought a airport express, ran the cat 5 cable from that to the DVR. Works perfectly easy without messing with the USB ports on the DVR. As far as I know, they are non-functional anyway, at least to an end user. In the end you will end up paying about as much for the APE as you would the $80 on the USB thing that probably won't work. Plus, you can set up the APE from your laptop or desktop in about 5 seconds.

Thanks for your help. I will have to try this option. I appreciate it!

Nanookfan

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008

I also chose this route and it works without any problems at all. Plus it is very easy to set up.

elijahpurcell

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
4G Hotspot

Will this same setup work when my wireless home network is my 4G mobile hotspot?

I just purchased a netgear ethernet bridge and set it up, but Direct TV will not connect to it...

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.