Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Hello everybody,
I am new on this forum and I must say,it looks awesome!

I have been using macs for 2 years now and they are the greatest!
I run software like Sibelius 6 and Logic Pro.

Now,
I have just bought a Powermac G4 from ebay and here is the item description:

Apple Power Mac G4 in Good Condition, few small scuffs to case.

Mirrored CD Drive Doors

Currently has Mac OS X Leopard Installed.

Two Hard Drives:
1x 200GB
1x 40GB

1.75GB RAM
1.25GHz Processor

No Screen, just Tower included in auction

Is there anyway I could upgrade the processor in the computer?
A intel duo would be nice, or even a Xeon!!!

A new Graphics card and sound would be cool too!

What are all the things I could upgrade on the computer and where can I buy them in the UK?

Thanks!
John.
:apple:

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
You can't put an Intel processor in it, as it is a PPC Mac and only supports the G4 processor (AFAIK). However, if you strip the PowerMac out and put PC components in it, then you can have upgradeability, and you could run OSX86 on it.

You may be able to bump the RAM up a bit more. There are graphics cards available for it (I think ATI make one). You can upgrade the storage and optical drive. And you also have PCI.

It's worth taking into mind though that it is an old computer and it's limits, in terms of upgradeability, may become very apparent once you start buying stuff for it.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
You can't put an Intel processor in it, as it is a PPC Mac and only supports the G4 processor (AFAIK). However, if you strip the Mac out and put PC components in it, then you can have upgradeability, and you could run OSX86 on it.

You may be able to bump the RAM up a bit more. There are graphics cards for the available (I think ATI make one). You can upgrade the storage and optical drive. And you also have PCI.

It's worth taking into mind though that it is an old computer and it's limits, in terms of upgradeability, may become very apparent once you start buying stuff for it.

Hi,
What if I put a new motherboard into it?

What is OSx86?

How would I do this?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
OSx86 creates what commonly gets known as a "Hackintosh", namely Mac OSX running on non-Apple hardware. It's forbidden under Apple's EULA for OSX, and tends to always be a version or so behind the official release as Apple breaks things that the OSx86 people then have to fix.

TBH I think you'd be better off re-selling the PowerMac to someone who specifically needs to use Mac OS Classic software, then trying to get an Intel mini or second hand iMac. I don't think a PowerPC Mac meets your needs.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
OSx86 creates what commonly gets known as a "Hackintosh", namely Mac OSX running on non-Apple hardware. It's forbidden under Apple's EULA for OSX, and tends to always be a version or so behind the official release as Apple breaks things that the OSx86 people then have to fix.

TBH I think you'd be better off re-selling the PowerMac to someone who specifically needs to use Mac OS Classic software, then trying to get an Intel mini or second hand iMac. I don't think a PowerPC Mac meets your needs.

Hi,
I have a eMac and it does all the things I want and that is a G4 processor.

I am just wondering, if I could upgrade it.

How do I do OSx86/Hackintosh?

Thanks
John.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
You've bought a computer that's at least 6 years old and technology has moved on in the meantime. Upgrades for your PowerMac are very limited, you can upgrade the RAM to a maximum of 2GB for example. Video card upgrades were limited 6 years ago, you would have to buy second hand if you want one now.

Upgrading to a modern motherboard and processor is not straightforward. For a start it won't just drop into the case, you will have to do some cutting, fabricating and drilling to make it fit. You will also need a new power supply, a new graphics card and some new RAM to work with the new motherboard.

Then you have to load the operating system. You will have to go the Hackintosh route because you are no longer using Apple hardware. Read this to get an idea of what you need to do.

If this sounds a bit much, listen to the good advice offered by Queso and get yourself an Intel Mac. :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I am just wondering, if I could upgrade it.
Technically the answer is yes...but unless you want to start massacring the case and intend to throw out most of the innards you are limited to only the G4 processor. The G5 used a different architecture, and the Intel processors are completely different beats entirely.

Maximum speed that machine will give you easily is a dual 2.0GHz G4, using NewerTech's upgrade card. However, it's still going to be a lot slower than a Mac mini. It's not a good cost/benefit ratio.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Technically the answer is yes...but unless you want to start massacring the case and intend to throw out most of the innards you are limited to only the G4 processor. The G5 used a different architecture, and the Intel processors are completely different beats entirely.

Maximum speed that machine will give you easily is a dual 2.0GHz G4, using NewerTech's upgrade card. However, it's still going to be a lot slower than a Mac mini. It's not a good cost/benefit ratio.

Than newtech thing sounds great!

I don't need an intel - a PPC is fine!

Could I get that newtech thing in the UK?

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY

Could I get that newtech thing in the UK?

I assume you could, but it might be a little bit expensive for not so much of a gain in performance. What I would do is use your Power Mac for a while and if you feel like it's too slow, sell it on craigslist or eBay, save up a little extra money, and buy a newer Intel Mac. If you think it's fast enough for you, don't worry about it! :)

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Is there anyway I could upgrade the processor in the computer?
A intel duo would be nice, or even a Xeon!!!

MacintoshMaster said:

:confused:

Anyway, the $400 upgrade from NewerTech is a waste of money.
You can get an Intel Mac Mini for that price and these machines run circles around a G4!

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
Clearly the computer you've bought is nothing like what you want. Sell it and buy something else.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
Hi,
What if I put a new motherboard into it?

What is OSx86?

You can't just put any-old motherboard in a Mac, you need an Apple one or else Mac OS won't work.

However... OSX86 allows you to run OS X on regular old PC hardware, so you could built a new computer inside the G4 case, and run Mac OS X. Although I have never tried this, your better off asking someone else on the forum.

Salavat23

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
$400 for the CPUs is a waste of money. You can build a solid C2D Hackintosh rig for ~$500 that will be leagues ahead of that G4.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
To OP

Max out the ram and maybe get a new graphics card and have fun with it.

Put Leopard on it with a graphics card that can handle it and I think you'll have a lot of fun.

It's not a bad machine at all.

I have a friend who upgraded his Powermac G4 500 mhz to a 1.8ghz machine and he loves it.

At the moment I am on a borrowed 2.0 Powermac G5 (granted, with eight gigs of ram) which is PPC or PowerPC as well, running Leopard and it is as fast if not faster than my 2.26ghz mac mini.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sounds like you should buy a Mac Mini.

I use my PowerMac G4 as a server, not my main computer.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The fastest compatible G4 processor is a dual 1.8ghz, they also make a 2.0ghz CPU. Both more expensive than the MDD is worth and it's worth it for the amount of performance you get in return. The slow frontside bus of the G4 is a bottle neck. 2gb is the max which looks like you just need to upgrade one of the 256mb to 512mb. A ATI 9800 Pro 128mb is a good graphics card to get while it's cheap and powerful.

Just wait until your power supply fails, that's gonna be more to fix than the whole MDD is worth.

I'd say just use it as it is without dumping too much money into it. Also being in the UK will also just make it even more expensive to buy upgrades.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Just sell the silly thing, it's going to be more cost effective to get something newer that will do what you want it to than to try and make do with that G4 tower.

fromthealder

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
I've had a single cpu MDD 1.25Ghz Mac since they were new. As others have said, there really isn't much sense in paying for a CPU upgrade, but a few years ago I did read about a way to get a free boost in CPU speed from 1.25 to 1.5 Ghz (or possibly higher). I tried it and it worked. It's not a great boost in speed but it doesn't cost anything (other than the risk of ruining your logic board, which I suppose could be considered a cost). If you are at all handy all you need to do is remove resistors from the logic board following the directions here:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=767

The guy who posted that got his MDD up to 1.67Ghz - this was about a year ago. A few years ago I used the directions from another site I can't find now to do essentially the same thing but because the computer was newer then I only pushed it to 1.5Ghz.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
you cant put a PC motherboard in the g4 towers, i looked into it once... It would take a lot of custom work and would ruin the case... the ATX motherboards will not just screw into place...

A processor upgrade as others have said is a huge waste of money. I upgraded to a sonnet encore g4 1.0ghz a few years back but that was before ppc was obsolete.. today they still cost the same, which is insane... I would use it as is... maybe max the ram out, but thats it.. don't spend much money on it... As others have said the Mini would run circles around it... and be MUCH quieter.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
About all you can do is put in a dual-processor G4 1.25GHz.

You'll need a different processor daughterboard and a dual processor heatsink.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
The fastest compatible G4 processor is a dual 1.8ghz, they also make a 2.0ghz CPU. Both more expensive than the MDD is worth and it's worth it for the amount of performance you get in return. The slow frontside bus of the G4 is a bottle neck. 2gb is the max which looks like you just need to upgrade one of the 256mb to 512mb. A ATI 9800 Pro 128mb is a good graphics card to get while it's cheap and powerful.

Just wait until your power supply fails, that's gonna be more to fix than the whole MDD is worth.

I'd say just use it as it is without dumping too much money into it. Also being in the UK will also just make it even more expensive to buy upgrades.

Hi,
Please could you tell me what that 2.0GHz CPU is called (So I can search for it)

I can't afford a mac mini - I wanted an old, cheap, jazzy computer and the spec of this computer will run my software - I have a eMac and that runs it.

I would be very happy with 2.0GHz on this computer.

I like the PowerMac G4 MDD and would be happy with 2.0GHz and 2GB RAM.

So, will somebody tell me what 2.0GHz processor my Mac will take.

Thanks!
John.

Please Help.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I can't afford a mac mini
I would be very happy with 2.0GHz on this computer.

Okay, look: if you wanted a CHEAP computer, you got one. Upgrades cost MONEY, and the fastest upgrade for your computer is DUAL 1.8GHz processors. Here it is. It costs $599. THAT IS AS MUCH AS A BRAND NEW MAC MINI.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Okay, look: if you wanted a CHEAP computer, you got one. Upgrades cost MONEY, and the fastest upgrade for your computer is DUAL 1.8GHz processors. Here it is. It costs $599. THAT IS AS MUCH AS A BRAND NEW MAC MINI.

But the mac mini is not as cool as a powermac...

But thanks!
I'll look into that!

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
To OP

Max out the ram and maybe get a new graphics card and have fun with it.

Put Leopard on it with a graphics card that can handle it and I think you'll have a lot of fun.

It's not a bad machine at all.

I have a friend who upgraded his Powermac G4 500 mhz to a 1.8ghz machine and he loves it.

At the moment I am on a borrowed 2.0 Powermac G5 (granted, with eight gigs of ram) which is PPC or PowerPC as well, running Leopard and it is as fast if not faster than my 2.26ghz mac mini.

Wich Graphics card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.