Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I had the previous gen Airport Extreme Wireless N router. For some reason, tonight the router was acting really slow, so I did a speed test, 800kbps download... 1200kbps upload! 100ms latency! (On Dslreports tests).

Turned it from Mixed mode to N only 5ghz, and it jumped up a bit, 4000kbps download 80ms latency...

I just wasn't having it, so I plugged directly into cable modem, 28ms, 15000kbps download, 3000kbps upload! WOAH DADDY!

So, I went and bought a new Linksys WRT320N.. EVERYTHING is faster now...
(But only in 5ghz N mode only!!)

16488kb/s down 1557kb/s up... 28ms latency..

What gives, why is my Airport Extreme performing so poorly, it has the latest firmware... You would think if I put it in Wireless N only on the 5ghz performance would be similar... but i guess if this is how it's going to be, I'll stick with the Linksys, unless anyone has any ideas..

bvanlieu

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
Many devices skimp on processor, which is how the cost is lowered.

When you enable various security settings your throughput will decrease. If you have a lot of sockets open with a fair amount of port forwarding or other jobs on the router, performance can also degrade. At my previous job we tested quite a few wireless access points with Docsis3 cable modems and it was clear that most of them could not keep up with higher speed service *and* have security enabled. Your best speeds will be with nothing enabled and a single TCP/UDP flow but who really does that? :)

A good test of a device is to plug directly into a FE and see what the throughput is. An example is my older Linksys N router can not do more then 35 Mb/s running DD-WRT. My Ver 2.0 WRT 54Gs even less despite it having a better CPU then many of the 54Gs.

Glad the new one is working out for you...often in this space a few extra dollars is worth the investment if you expect to be doing > 30 Mb/s at any point in time.

I agree since Apple charges a premium I would expect a decent CPU in there but perhaps they skimped in the name of Steve's margins. :)

- b

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I have 0 problems with my Airport Extreme Simultaneous Dual Band router. I get the maximum I can get from my Cable company. It's awesome! 30mbps down and 5 mbps up :).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a time capsule, and never really noticed that it's any slower. I've hooked up my computer directly to the dsl modem and its no faster then TC was. I'm not sure if the OP had a defective unit but so far (knocks on wood) my TC has been a solid performer.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
What's the consensus on the Airport? Is it really the best router out there when dealing with Macs?

I read some review that said they had mixed up two of the antennas which was hurting its range. Wonder if it was ever fixed.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
What's the consensus on the Airport? Is it really the best router out there when dealing with Macs?

I read some review that said they had mixed up two of the antennas which was hurting its range. Wonder if it was ever fixed.

I have to say, after owning a PoS D-Link DGL-4500 where they botched the firmware, the Apple Airport Simultaneous Dual Band is hands down the best router I have ever used, especially with my Mac. It has the airport disk which allows you to use Time Machine if you have an external drive hooked up to it which is an added bonus. I never have to worry about backing up my Macs anymore. Just automatically does it. Love that.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Improvement with new dual-channel AE

I have a mixed network and can't use N only. I recently replaced my older AE with the new dual-channel one, and the throughput on my N-enabled machines went up by almost 50%.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I'm just wondering if maybe my Airport Extreme is slowly going bad? It doesn't make sense why the throughput of the Linksys would be so much better, especially when the AEX is the highest rated wireless router on the market from several different online computer sites. ;)

Nevertheless, if it is dieing, it's disapointing that I paid a premium for a product and it didn't last... I still have my old Linksys WRT54G, it's like 6 years old and still humming along at my friend's 3 story town house with excellent reception in all levels of his house even with 20+ other routers installed in condos around him. Though I'm not sure what kind of throughput he gets, I've never tested it since I installed it for him.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I have a mixed network and can't use N only. I recently replaced my older AE with the new dual-channel one, and the throughput on my N-enabled machines went up by almost 50%.

What is you do N only on the 5ghz, not mixed, does it go even higher?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
had a linksys wrt54g v6 or 7 and it finally died last year and I bought the AEBS and haven't had a problem since. All around speeds have actually been quite faster on the apple than the linksys, almost twice the speed through hardwired computers.
Also have a Cisco/Linksys "business" class N router at work and that POS is just garbage, I have to reset it once a day due to random wireless drops or the router just not working. WRVS400N = the devil. Brought the AEBS and slapped it in place and didn't tell anyone, the entire staff immediately noticed the bump in speed and that they were able to work throughout the day without one person having to tell everyone to get to a save point so they could restart the router, ( since everyone works off of the same server )

All in all, the AEBS has been a badass...... so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.