Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psquare11

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Why the Perian solution doesn't work(?)

I'm running Snow Leo and am also having problems getting QT (w/Perian installed) to play an .avi file. QT keeps generating the following err msg:

"The document 'Castle.2009.S02E13.HDTV.XviD-2HD.avi' could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands."

I'm wondering if the problem lies with the "...HDTV.XviD-2HD...." nomenclature. Could the issue be that QT or Perian doesn't support HD files?

psquare11

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Boy do I feel dumb!!

Just reread some old messages in this string. Harley3k had the right answer in his Dec. 2008 entry: After installing Perian, just close and then reopen Q-T and voila! the problem is history. I'm now running HD .avi files in Q-T just fine.

Thanks Harley3K!! :eek:

addythebat

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
I never could get Perian/QT to work with the files I was trying to watch, so I went with another option; VLC player. It works wonderfully.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
Just reread some old messages in this string. Harley3k had the right answer in his Dec. 2008 entry: After installing Perian, just close and then reopen Q-T and voila! the problem is history. I'm now running HD .avi files in Q-T just fine.

Thanks Harley3K!! :eek:

Hey, no problem ;)

As someone else noted, VLC Player also works great...the new quicktime interface is better though IMO.

calliope8muse

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
London, UK
can't play avi files in quicktime 10, even with perian

ok here is the question for the gigs.

I am running the latest (10.6.3) snow leopard and latest QT 10.

The strangest thing: I have perian installed since day one I got my Mac (it was 9 monts ago), I have VLC also.

Today I decided to see an .avi movie in QT as usual, but it refuses to open ANY .avi movie.:confused:

I re-installed the latest Perian> Still no sign:eek:

Any suggestions please?? Much appreciated... in the meantime ~I will have to see my movie in VLC:cool:

lornabshaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
help needed to get .avi file (in iphoto) to play/to send via email

Hi -

I have a PowerBook G4 running OSX v.10.4.11 with iPhoto'08 (v.7.1.5),
Quick Time Player (v.7.6.4) - and I have managed to download some video files from my camera. They appear in iPhoto with the movie camera icon and show some seconds of duration to the right. However, when I double click on the photo, nothing happens. I downloaded Perian as suggested but still have no success.

I also tried to download the video files to a folder on my desktop (so that I could then easily attach them in an email) but those files, though they show the .avi extension on the file names, only open as still photos. If I open them via Quick Time, and try to play them, the arrow instantly goes from the left to the right, no video.

These videos are of a friend who is terminally ill. I want to get them to her in working order as soon as possible. Please help.

Thanks,
- lorna

calliope8muse

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
London, UK
After installing Perian, just close and then reopen Q-T and voila!

try to update your quicktime and do as mentioned in the previous post (quoted here). now go and right click on that file> open with> perian :cool:

2. what's the problem with your footage? try to open it with iMovie to edit it.

3.try to open it with vlc anyway see if it plays (if it doesn't play with vlc, then I will start wondering) :rolleyes:

4. even if .avi file you can still select to open it with either vlc or QuickTime.

Hope it helps ;)

cher72

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
I have the new macbook and couldn't watch avi files. I downloaded Perian as suggested and it worked straight away. Thanks a lot :D

confussedandnew

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
I realize how long ago these threads where posted but I am hoping that someone can help me!
I am trying to play avi files while streaming online. However, even though I have downloaded the Divx player and Perian, it still won't play.

Hope someone knows how to help me!

Luxuryoverdose

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I didn't 'gloss over' your advice, and guess what? Success!

I feel like this bears repeating, since my response was completely glossed over.

Please install Perian. It will solve this problem. It is free. It is easy to install. It WILL work.

Thanks for the advice Michael. I'm about to kick back and watch Black Swan. Very many thanks.

David
Snake Valley, Australia

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Sorry to butt in but there seems to be some folk who are knowledgable about quicktime here.

Any idea why I keep getting a 'connection failed' message when I try to stream mp4 in quicktime?
I haven't got perian installed but I was under the impression that quicktime played mpeg4 natively.
Its quicktime x on snow leopard if that helps.
I've tried quicktime 7 but that gave the same result.

Thanks

Proverbs33

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Listen to this guy!!!!

I recommend installing Perian. It's an _excellent_ codec pack for Quicktime.

PERIAN works!!!! This guy knows what he's talking about! It takes literally 2 minutes to dload then restart your mac. The program automatically makes the movie compatible with quicktime!

THANK YOU epoch blue for the post!!! :D

hampshireman

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Hampshire
Spotted this while looking for help. Non techie here, but love Apple as it was my first computer.

I have an old Powermac G4 with 10.4.11 and have QT,VLC,Movist, RealPlayer, Perian, Elmedia and MPEG Streamclip, but I can't view a .WMV or .mp4 file without them freezing or jumping rather than flowing. Even FLVs are often freezing or jumping too. I am trying to view short videos downloaded from websites.

When I heard of Perian some time back I put it in Applications, should I have put it into QT (is that possible?) or restarted or what. Not even sure if that's the answer but who knows?

colinonthegroov

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
I feel like this bears repeating, since my response was completely glossed over.

Please install Perian. It will solve this problem. It is free. It is easy to install. It WILL work.
Thank you so much epochblue. After 8 years as a PC user, I just bought my first ever Mac (specifically Macbook Pro) in Nov. 2011 and have been struggling with how to play my videos. Problem solved. So easy. Tried ISkysoft for awhile and wasn't too fond of the massive watermark in the top left corner.lol Much obliged.
:D

LesterM

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Thanks for Perian info

Downloaded in a micro second and working within a minute, so easy thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.