Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merlyn412

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
north vancouver
Hello,

I've been hunting for a macbook on craigslist for awhile. It has been a chore to find one that wasn't obviously stolen!! (as a quick aside, i suggest telling a prospective seller that you will be calling apple with the serial # to verify that it is not stolen, it scares a lot of people off)

Anyway, the macbook i purchased runs leopard, and is registered to the guy who sold it to me, and it matched his photo id (LOL).

The problem. He has no boot disks. AFAIK you need to have those disks to wipe out his id, and to install my own. So right now, i'm loggin into the macbook as this guy, using his password.

I have an imac at home with all my leopard install disks.... can i use those? How can i wipe all this guys crap off the macbook?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You can't use your iMac disks as these are specific to individual types of machines. You will have to purchase full OSX disks from a store.

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
The above answer is correct, though I may append it with the suggestion to upgrade to SL, for the simple reason that it's only $30. Just a standard erase/install should do the trick: MRoogle search here.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
The only downside to buying the Snow Leopard discs and doing an erase and install is that you will lose any software that may have been installed. Snow Leopard doesn't come with iLife or iWork, so if you need those you'll have to buy new copies.

You might try calling Apple to see how much they will charge for replacement restore discs for that computer. They'll usually provide those for little to no cost, and at least the original software (iLife) would be included.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have an imac at home with all my leopard install disks.... can i use those? How can i wipe all this guys crap off the macbook?"

Suggestions:

Does the MacBook have firewire? If so, then connect the MacBook up to the iMac via Target Disk Mode (with the MB as the "target").

Then, examine the drive for any applications you might want to retain. Copy those over to an intermediary storage device.

Keep the MB in target disk mode for the moment. Get out your iMac Leopard install DVD, and restart the iMac from the install DVD.

Once rebooted, launch the installer and see if it "recognizes the presence" of the MB as a valid hard drive to which the OS can be installed.

Does it "see" the MB internal drive? In that case, erase the MB drive and try to go ahead with the installation.

IF THE INSTALLATION SUCCEEDS, do this next:

Before rebooting the MB, connect it to your modem/router VIA ETHERNET. DO NOT reboot "in wireless".

Now try to reboot the MB with the fresh install. Does it work? Do you get a good boot?

If it DOESN'T work, you've "lost nothing". Spend $30 and get yourself a Snow Leopard installation DVD. Install, and then re-copy over any of the applications you saved (first step above).

If you DO get a "good boot", create a new account for yourself and IMMEDIATELY go to Software Update and download any and all System-related updates. You may even get some of the copied-over applications updated, as well!

merlyn412

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
north vancouver
well, I ended up buying SL and doing a complete wipe of the computer. Unfortunately the previous user had iLife '09 on it, but in the end I thought this was the best thing to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't recommend it. When you get a new computer, always wipe and do a fresh install before doing anything else. There's no telling what the previous owner may have left behind.

loganlefty

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
similar QUESTION: clean re-install of MS Office 2008 after reformatting

I just bought a MacBook Pro off eBay (converting from a Windows XP laptop). It came fully loaded with Snow Leopard 10.6 and Microsoft Office 2008. The Snow Leopard install DVD was included, but no install disks for Office. Whenever I boot up or start an application, it is "registered" in the previous owner's name. I asked & received his password so I could delete his and add my own administrative account, but all the software/applications still bear his name. Additionally, he left loads of his movies, iTunes, etc., on the computer.

Problems & Questions: I want to have a "clean slate" and wipe everything out, and put everything in my name (and get rid of all his files). I have backed everything up using Time Machine to an external USB hard drive. Is it possible, and advisable, to re-format the hard drive, re-install Snow Leopard from the DVD, and then use Time Machine to re-install "Office" (since I don't have those disks)? Can you pick and choose which programs and files to re-install, and how do you know and choose all the zillions of "Office" files that you need? Would I need the codes/keys to re-install Office? Does Time Machine simply copy those folders and files back to the hard drive, or do an "install"? (I learned on my Windows computer that it isn't simply a matter of copying files back to re-install a program.) Thanks for any help. I'm a real newbie to Mac, so please keep it simple and straightforward! ;-)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If you didn't receive the disks for office then either the old owner did not want you to have it, as they wanted to use the license themselves on a new machine, or they are pirated. If you want to do things in a legit way the best answer is to do a clean install.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Most Mac applications can in fact be reinstalled just by dragging them to the Applications folder, although they'll lose all of their configuration settings in the process. Office, unfortunately, is not one of these.

You aren't legally allowed to keep Office. Whether you choose to do so or not is your business. Personally, I would advise against it. As I suggested earlier, it's always best to start with a clean slate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.