Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaylieray800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I have a 12 inch powerbook g4 Aluminum and the screen is dim,and discolored in some areas but it is really bright at the bottom like it supposed to be brighter.is it the backlight and inverter or is it just the lcd? it works flawlessly other than that. Any help would be appreciated.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
My guess is the backlight is going - the bottom of the screen is where it lives on those PBs (if memory serves). What happens when you dim the screen?

kaylieray800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
if i dim it all the way it goes black, its just the whole screen is somewhat dim and the bottom of it that says powerbook it is a whole lot brighter than the rest of the screen

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I would think it's the inverter or panel... if the backlight goes, it's usually all or nothing. They are simply CCFL bulbs... like the long tube florescent lights in stores or garages... just a lot smaller. If they burn out, the screen will be all dark, with the faint outline of images on the screen.

Hopefully it's the inverter, as that is the cheapest fix!

mi.kette@

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2016
I would think it's the inverter or panel... if the backlight goes, it's usually all or nothing. They are simply CCFL bulbs... like the long tube florescent lights in stores or garages... just a lot smaller. If they burn out, the screen will be all dark, with the faint outline of images on the screen.

Hopefully it's the inverter, as that is the cheapest fix!
[doublepost=1464457023][/doublepost]Thank you...how do I do this Inverter function? or repair panel? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.