Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
RI
Anyone still use a Power Mac G5 as their main machine?
How does it run?
Can it run 64 bit applications under tiger and leopard?
(I don't think it matters, but this is the dual processor 2.0 GHZ model)

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
All G5s are 64-bit, so it can run apps that are PPC or Universal and coded for 64-bit (I believe CS4 takes a little advantage of that, can't remember where I read that though). There have been a few tests showing the differences between 64-bit and 32-bit on Intels and PPC, most of them show the same performance or even slightly slower performance under 64 on PPC (vs 30-40% improvement on Intel), so it's not that big a deal either way. On the Mac PPC line, the real advantage to 64-bit is addressing larger amounts of RAM, but if you don't have 4gb or more, it won't make much of a difference...

Leopard isn't really a 64-bit OS no matter what you read; most of the components are 32-bit, but again, it's not really a benefit to G5s anyhow. ;)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
64 bit applications require 10.5. I don't know of any major 64 bit applications for the PowerPC. CS4 definitely does not take advantage of 64 bit.

Apple has also already discontinued support for PowerPC 64 in their development tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.