Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am on vacation and traveling overseas. (Buenos Aires if anyone is interested). I rely on the iPhone and oMaps to get around and back home again.

Was in an internet cafe and tried to connect to the internet but it wasn't working so I thought I'd just give it a restart. On starting up I get the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

In a strange part of town - with no maps - and I don't speak spanish at all! Was not happy...

By fluke I managed to get home and then connected the phone and all happy. Thought I don't want this to happen again - so turned it off to check. Sure enough on reboot - Connect to iTunes.

Even flick to Airplane mode - Connect to iTunes.

This is unacceptable when your phone locks you out completely.

In case it makes any difference here are the details:
iPhone bought outright in Australia and unlocked by Optus from their network.
I normally use a Three sim in the phone - which shows it is unlocked.
Got a Claro SIM in Argentina. It is prepaid.
3GS with latest OS

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks.

Glenn.

The iPhone works great until apples paranoia/greed for cash screws ya at the most inappropriate time!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So it locks up and you have to do a restore each time thru itunes to get it back up and running?
Sounds like you might have to bring it to Apple for an exchange.
Dann, I forgot its officially unlocked.
Im not sure where you would exchange it.

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Not actually doing a restore. It just has the connect to itunes screen. When I am at home it connects to the WiFi and downloads mail (can see the AirPort logo up the top). So the thing is running - just wants to call home for some reason before it will let me in.

Once connected to iTunes it only takes a few seconds and it is back to normal. Until it restarts that is... :mad:

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Did you buy it new, or did you buy it from someone who told you it was officially unlocked?

If you bought it new, what was the process you followed to get it unlocked?

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
It was bought new. I contact the Telco and asked them to unlock it. And they did. In Australia I don't use the phone with the telco I purchased it from - clearly showing it was unlocked. And if it wasn't unlocked I doubt connecting it to iTunes in Argentina would somehow get it working albeit until a reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.