Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I can't say much, but I am developing an app for the iPad, and HTML5 works fully. Both Audio and Video players work perfect, as well as other HTML5 features.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Safari supports HTML5 so yes.

Not completely true. Yes, Safari on the iPhone/Touch supports HTML 5. But that doesn't mean it can play a video that uses HTML 5. It has to support the codec being used to play it. Right now there are 2 different codecs and there is a war to decide which one should be the standard. AFAIK, the mobile Safari can't play either.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Not completely true. Yes, Safari on the iPhone/Touch supports HTML 5. But that doesn't mean it can play a video that uses HTML 5. It has to support the codec being used to play it. Right now there are 2 different codecs and there is a war to decide which one should be the standard. AFAIK, the mobile Safari can't play either.

Mobile Safari plays MPEG4/H.264 using HTML5 in Safari, Mobile Safari and what ever you want to call Safari on the iPad. It does not play the OGG version that Firefox does.

MPEG4/H.264 will probably be the one that wins because its the one the big players are putting there weight behind.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Mobile Safari plays MPEG4/H.264 using HTML5 in Safari, Mobile Safari and what ever you want to call Safari on the iPad. It does not play the OGG version that Firefox does.

That is interesting as I have yet to see a HTML5 example that plays on an iPhone. Clearly the iPhone/iPad can play H.264 but I wasn't aware they updated the HTML5 support to play these videos.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
That is interesting as I have yet to see a HTML5 example that plays on an iPhone. Clearly the iPhone/iPad can play H.264 but I wasn't aware they updated the HTML5 support to play these videos.

What the iPhone does with HTML5 video is by design. Apple chooses not to play the video with in the browser because the screen is too small.

Example is this http://jilion.com/sublime/video when you click play on the video safari takes over and opens the video in the standard iPhone video player.

On the iPad the video will play through the HTML5 in-browser video player with the option to go full screen in the standard iPad video player.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

MPEG4/H.264 will probably be the one that wins because its the one the big players are putting there weight behind.
Unfortunately, it is extremely unlikely that the Mozilla Foundation will be at liberty to directly ship a version of Firefox that natively supports H.264 within the next decade or so due to patent restrictions, unless the MPEG LA agrees to an open-source exemption (or something to the same effect) for viewers.

Even if they had the financial resources to purchase a license for every copy of Firefox that is downloaded directly from them, the browser's license terms state that anybody else can redistribute the software they received to others as well. Somebody would also need to pay the patent royalties for those additional copies, and any copies of the copies, etc.

This is the reason Google distributes the H.264 codec as part of its proprietary (non-redistributable) Chrome browser, but does not include it as part of its redistributable open source Chromium counterpart. And Apple distributes the H.264 as part of Safari, but excludes it from the redistributable WebKit.

So if H.264 wins out, judging by current usage statistics, there will be a significant share of web browsers that can claim to be fully HTML5 compliant, but still the market will be fragmented.

From what I'd read, the W3C's policy is that it should be possible to implement their baseline standards on a royalty-free basis, so it seems almost certain to me that H.264 codec support will not be called up as a mandatory component of HTML5.

They had originally specified OGG Theora as a mandatory codec, but at Apple's insistence (ironically, due to Apple's alleged uncertainty about OGG Theora's patent situation), they removed it. They intentionally did not replace it with H.264 due to other W3C members' objections to H.264's patent requirements that have already been positively identified, so they left the codec undefined. If anything, they will probably leave it undefined and allow the the individual web browser developer to decide on a case-by-case basis. So we could see a fully certified HTML5 compliant version of Microsoft IE 10 that only plays back WMV files.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
So we could see a fully certified HTML5 compliant version of Microsoft IE 10 that only plays back WMV files.

That would be just very bad. If that happens we will never get rid of flash. And HTML5 has to be added into IE9, we can not go through another version of IE with no HTML5 support, or even CSS3 support.

For anyone who wants to see what the HTML5 player looks on the iPad with in a app here you go

defender

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
In the iPad simulator can you run safari? It would be nice to know if embedded html5 videos can auto play, in position, in iPad safari. In iPhone safari it has to be clicked and opens in the iphone media player, which sucks donkey hairs.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
html5 is buggy as hell. Internet explorer does not even support it.

Firefox/mozilla version of video play back is totally different than Safari/Chrome/Webkit version. It's not a agreed upon standard at all, much less working great.

Plus Html 5 is just a way to imbed video content into a browser, so were back to figuring out if you have the right format player and the right codecs and installed to even watch any video.

HTML5 can't do half of what flash can do as far as animation, and creating interactive content goes. Plus what's worse there are no tools like "Flash Creative Suite" to even have content creators and designers to even get started on making sites and such in html5.

Right now html5 is garbage with a bright future. But not very usable today.'

Do you people realize how boring the web would be if Flash was never created? It would be a world of static plain text. But I guess some of you like that.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
In the iPad simulator can you run safari? It would be nice to know if embedded html5 videos can auto play, in position, in iPad safari. In iPhone safari it has to be clicked and opens in the iphone media player, which sucks donkey hairs.

No you can't "run" safari, but the screen shot I posted is using a UIWebView, which is safari with out the top address bar. Embedded HTML5 video can play in safari on the iPad. It can't auto play, because as far as I know there is no auto play function for HTML5 video tag, there is only a auto buffer (Which is what I prefer).

Firefox/mozilla version of video play back is totally different than Safari/Chrome/Webkit version. It's not a agreed upon standard at all, much less working great.

Plus Html 5 is just a way to imbed video content into a browser, so were back to figuring out if you have the right format player and the right codecs and installed to even watch any video.

HTML5 can't do half of what flash can do as far as animation, and creating interactive content goes. Plus what's worse there are no tools like "Flash Creative Suite" to even have content creators and designers to even get started on making sites and such in html5.

Do you people realize how boring the web would be if Flash was never created? It would be a world of static plain text. But I guess some of you like that.

That is so not true. HTML5 is not buggy at all. It doesn't work in IE because Microsoft choose not to put it in IE. But hey, half of todays new web standards don't work in IE. CSS3 is another example. And you don't have to mess with codecs, a browser that supports HTML5 will already have the correct codec installed with the browser.

Your right, HTML5 can't do half of what flash can but that is were CSS3 comes in. The animations that HTML5 can't do, CSS3 can. CSS3 also eliminates the need for many images such as styled buttons, and things that have shadows.

Its not just HTML5, CSS3 is the other half needed to replace flash. Both are a 100 times better then flash, are easier to code, are faster, and don't require some stupid 3rd party plug in that sucks down 100% CPU usage just to play a stupid 480p video.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

Can you provide any evidence for the claims you made here?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Really? Are you saying the only way to get anything on a Web Page that is not Static Plain Text is with Flash?

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
READ

http://blog.iqinteractive.com/?p=338

Really? Are you saying the only way to get anything on a Web Page that is not Static Plain Text is with Flash?

No but how many great animators do you know that are also excellent code writers?

There needs to be a suite or program that lets creative people "create" otherwise the only people making the animation will be programmers and coders.

Flash is really easy for anyone to create content in, and if you are more advanced you can always write your own code using action script.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.