Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I thought i wanted a 12" powerbook for college because of the size, i was using my brother's 12" ibook and i thought the screen was small. The next thing up would be the 15". Do you think it will be too big to fit on those tiny desk in a college classroom?
Thanks

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
puckhead193 said:
I thought i wanted a 12" powerbook for college because of the size, i was using my brother's 12" ibook and i thought the screen was small. The next thing up would be the 15". Do you think it will be too big to fit on those tiny desk in a college classroom?
Thanks

no there quite compact really...with a really great screen......
fast and reliable

go with the 15 if you think the 12 is gunna be 2 small you will only regret going to small...

hope this helps

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I would go with 15. Even if there are small desks, just make sure you keep the computer centered and you should have no problems. I just got a 15" 1.5 for college myself. I love it and i know i can easily take this thing around. Some people claim it's not portable, they should be slapped for being so ignorant!.... J/K. The 15" is totally portable and could easily be used in a classroom every day.

Lia2004

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2004

yeah i was deliberating also about which to get for college the 12 or 15 ...and i chose the 15 it just has a bit more handrest space and the size of the screen though a measley 3 inches bigger gives you a totally different more spacious view...and as far as the sizes of the desks...you may not have to use your computer for all of your classes...but then again i dont know your note taking habits or course requirements...but generally speaking the desk size shouldnt be that big of a deal..i mean it's not like your gettin a 17 :D

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Here's a far out idea

Let me just throw this out here: (please don't flame me immediately)
I think the choice is much more between the 12" and the 17".

From a size wise stand point the 17 inch is only a couple inches bigger, and only a bit heavier. If portability is an issue get the 12. if money is an issue and you do want a bigger screen (when is it not? :)) get the 15.

But I think you can't really go wrong with whatever choice you will make.
Nice problem to have, isn't it?

bigsteve3

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
IL
As a proud owner of the 12" Pbook, I will say that this is a wonderful machine. Although a bit underpowered for games (although Return of the King is playable), it is quite speedy. That said, I really wish I had paid the extra money for the 15". There are plenty of times when I find myself hunching over to see the small 12" screen, and while clear, this definitely gets old. Listen to the people above: Go with the 15"!

-S

belf8st

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2004
bigsteve3 said:
As a proud owner of the 12" Pbook, I will say that this is a wonderful machine. Although a bit underpowered for games (although Return of the King is playable), it is quite speedy. That said, I really wish I had paid the extra money for the 15". There are plenty of times when I find myself hunching over to see the small 12" screen, and while clear, this definitely gets old. Listen to the people above: Go with the 15"!

-S

I actually owned a 15" powerbook, but then soon sold it to purchase the latest 12". I found the 15" too large to tote around. I travel quite a bit and the 12" has worked out a lot better for me. The 12" powerbook is an awesome machine. I don't regret "downsizing" at all.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
belf8st said:
I actually owned a 15" powerbook, but then soon sold it to purchase the latest 12". I found the 15" too large to tote around. I travel quite a bit and the 12" has worked out a lot better for me. The 12" powerbook is an awesome machine. I don't regret "downsizing" at all.

You must be one small dude....because carrying the 15 inch is so easy for me...plus its got huge advantages over the 12 like graphics car and screen size...

MikeLaRiviere

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
12"

I use the 12 inch. If you're a user of the 12" you'd never concede that the 15" is "just as portable." While the 15" will fit on a desk without problem, I can use the 12" literally everywhere. This thing is the size of a school notebook. The only time I find the screen small, as I remarked in another post, is after using my boss's 23" Cinema display. Yes: I am doing graphics and web work on a 12" screen, and I have absolutely no problem. You can probably use the 15" book anywhere, but with some effort, no doubt. I had a 14" or 15" PC notebook a year back, and I couldn't do nearly as much with that as I do with my 12" PBook. Working on the train, watching DVDs in the air or car, using it on my lap anywhere in the house - I can't see anything being better suited to portability, without sacrificing much else, than the 12" model.

Don't get me wrong; the 15" PBook is very cool. A coworker of mine uses a 1 GHz version, and I think it's one cool looking machine. But it's nowhere near as portable as the 12". If you're looking to use your 15" at a school desk or at a desk in your dorm, you have found your match. But if you're looking for a computer that you can use anywhere, 12" is the way to go.

Mike LaRiviere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.