Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SooTyLaD

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Hey guys,

Having some problems getting windows 7 x64 onto my new iMac (2.93GHz, Radeon 4850) - the OS installed fine but can't get the drivers on so far I have tried:

• simply running from the OS X disk... this caused an error:

"Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model"

• modifying the .msi file to stop it limiting what hardware it works on - this went through the installation but all sorts of unsigned driver problems (amongst others) cropped up, and only the odd driver seemed to have got plugged in such as the apple keyboard one

• putting individually sourced drivers on, but I can't find the audio drivers and although the 4850 drivers (from the ATi site) seemed to go on ok (confirmed "successful" at the end) it doesn't seem to have picked them up at all...

So all in all, its doing my nut in :mad:

Could anyone offer any advice on how to get W7x64 working on my BootCamp partition without all the headaches?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Hey guys,
• putting individually sourced drivers on, but I can't find the audio drivers and although the 4850 drivers (from the ATi site) seemed to go on ok (confirmed "successful" at the end) it doesn't seem to have picked them up at all...

When I installed it, I had to install some Realtek HD audio driver or something. After that, it worked.

stingraycisco

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Snow leopard and windows 7

If you have a snow leopard disk go to the Bootcamp/drivers/apple directory and right click on Bootcamp64.msi then choose Troubleshoot compatibility, then click on the start the program button and will install correctly.

mikeoertli

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
Make sure you're using the disc that shipped with your machine or newer

I was having this issue with my i5 MBP, turns out since I was using the original 10.6 install DVD not the OS DVD that shipped with my laptop (which is newer than the 10.6 retail DVD) it wouldn't install (despite it working on my old 64 bit machine- who knows). Switching to the OS DVD that came with my laptop worked.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
If you have a snow leopard disk go to the Bootcamp/drivers/apple directory and right click on Bootcamp64.msi then choose Troubleshoot compatibility, then click on the start the program button and will install correctly.

ty so much!!!

HGKENNEDY

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Older Bootcamp Windows 7 Lion OS

I had the same problem trying to run Bootcamp for Windows 7 Professional using Lion on my iMac. Downloaded the Windows files from Apple for latest Bootcamp. What I did was use my old iMac install DVD (always keep that) and was able to install an older Bootcamp (got my microphone working etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.