Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Rolls Out FamilyMap iPhone Application

AT&T today announced the release of AT&T FamilyMap, a new iPhone application that integrates with the company's existing FamilyMap service to allow families to keep track of each other while on the go.

Quote:
The AT&T FamilyMap app brings a streamlined approach to helping families stay up to speed on each other's whereabouts by locating wireless devices within a shared family account. The app provides iPhone users with access to FamilyMap's popular features, which until now, were only accessible through a computer.
The FamilyMap service is priced at $9.99 per month for two phones or $14.99 per month for up to five phones charged to the customer's AT&T bill. The iPhone application carries no additional charge beyond the monthly subscription.

Features offered in the service include the ability to view each phone's whereabouts on an interactive map, as well as the ability to label frequently-visited locations on the maps for easy reference. The application also offers on-demand locating, integrated messaging via e-mail, SMS, and voice, and automated checks to see if a family member is on schedule to reach a given location.

AT&T FamilyMap can only be established for phones on a single shared billing account, with the account owner overseeing all privacy preferences.

Article Link: AT&T Rolls Out FamilyMap iPhone Application

Last edited by WildCowboy; Feb 5, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Can't the be accomplished through "where's my iphone?"
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:07 PM   #3
jholzner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolfmatt View Post
Can't the be accomplished through "where's my iphone?"
You can't use that feature via an iPhone.

Oh, and it requires a Mobile me account as well.
jholzner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Seems like a nice and useful idea, but not worth the extra money on top of my already-expensive plan. This would be a nice app to have built into the iPhone, with the fees included in the monthly plan. Can you imagine the families that would jump on board for this, with parents being able to keep track of their children?
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5
gber
macrumors newbie

over priced

Another price rip-off.
gber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:19 PM   #6
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

Att are ******* for charging for this. I am all for capitalism, but this is just crap. This simple feature adds another layer of safety for parents looking out for their children. The number of people who actually use it, the small revenue stream it generates,a nod the fact that we already pay for unlimited data and have gps units on our phones means that there is no reason, no justifiable reason for this extra charge to be had.

**** you ATT. I can't wait for other carriers to get the iPhone.
iansilv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:19 PM   #7
meagain
macrumors 68030

Too expensive. Would've been cool though.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:21 PM   #8
meagain
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

**** you ATT. I can't wait for other carriers to get the iPhone.
NO KIDDING! Even if the other carrier sucks more, I can't wait to switch. But how 'could' it suck more?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:21 PM   #9
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Similar for MobileMe?

I would love a feature like this for MobileMe. In fact, any API for the "find my iphone" feature would be cool, to have background location tracking.
lowbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:42 PM   #10
adammull
macrumors regular

You can just use Loopt, for free. Way to go AT&T, charging for what I can get elsewhere for free.
adammull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:48 PM   #11
csouv
macrumors newbie

Actually a useful app IMO and does not require MobileMe to work

IMO this is very useful if you have young kids various ages attending different activities all over the city at different times. I can see some folks maybe having an issue with the pricing for it. However, it is certainly helpful if your child happens to cut school on a given day, go somewhere where they are forbidden to go or worse get abducted. It does not require MobileMe like the "Find my phone feature on the iphone" This service uses the built in GPS chip in the handsets or if no GPS is present, it uses the cell towers. This has been around for a couple of years. In the past you would be able to interact with the service via a web browser. Only difference now is that you can also interact with the service via an iphone APP.
csouv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:58 PM   #12
LloydBraun89
macrumors member

This takes helicopter parenting to a whole new level
LloydBraun89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:16 PM   #13
coasterswim
macrumors 6502

The service has been around forever and can track every single phone type (not just iPhones or even GPS-enabled ones). The only new thing that's happened is you can SEE that map from your iPhone now. It had previously required a computer.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:29 PM   #14
bijanorama
macrumors member

I think it would have been smarter for AT&T to make this a free feature and advertise the hell out of it on TV. Right now they're pushing browsing the web and talking on the phone at the same time, who cares?

My guess is families would switch from Verizon or Sprint for this feature without a second thought.

PUSH IT, AT&T! Make it the killer feature it should be!
bijanorama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:29 PM   #15
penguy
macrumors 6502

as a parent of one teenage son and one nearly there, I could see a use for this. But for $10 per month? ridiculous. I think my cell bill is over $160/month as it is!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:33 PM   #16
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijanorama View Post
I think it would have been smarter for AT&T to make this a free feature and advertise the hell out of it on TV. Right now they're pushing browsing the web and talking on the phone at the same time, who cares?

My guess is families would switch from Verizon or Sprint for this feature without a second thought.

PUSH IT, AT&T! Make it the killer feature it should be!
There we go- hey ATT- how about figuring out some actual P.R.???
iansilv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:38 PM   #17
optophobia
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to optophobia
Actually anyone who can afford to pay for their kids to have iphones can probably shell out a bit more to have this feature.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:39 PM   #18
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydBraun89 View Post
This takes helicopter parenting to a whole new level
Indeed. I can see kids resenting this and switching their phones off. Or even worse, leaving them at their friend's house while they go off and explore the big bad world. Then if they do get in trouble, they haven't got a phone handy.

Dumb idea because... kids are smart. (well, mine are - but then isn't that what all parents say?)
Arran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:40 PM   #19
Doctor Q
Administrator

If they want to make money, they should give it away free, then charge for an antidote that lets you disguise your true location. Naughty kids, sneaky spouses, and maybe even some mischievous parents would snap it up!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:41 PM   #20
Asar
macrumors regular

should be a free service.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:55 PM   #21
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asar View Post
should be a free service.
I agree--talk about nickel and dime to death--that seems to be all we get from service providers.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:03 PM   #22
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
NO KIDDING! Even if the other carrier sucks more, I can't wait to switch. But how 'could' it suck more?
Verizon for example, would cost more per plan if they have it their way. Plus, they would give you less for your money. Less features (like 3G internet and phone at same time) and for sure they'd charge $20/month for this instead of $10.

But they have great coverage. ATT works great in ATL, so I have great coverage, speed, etc. Pretty much the standard here. Verizon is no better. Oh, but their 3G is slower and they cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Indeed. I can see kids resenting this and switching their phones off. Or even worse, leaving them at their friend's house while they go off and explore the big bad world. Then if they do get in trouble, they haven't got a phone handy.

Dumb idea because... kids are smart. (well, mine are - but then isn't that what all parents say?)
Yeah, well kids have tried that. The answer is basically, if you don't answer your phone in x minutes, you're grounded. And get a mobileme acct instead of this crap and double check they're where they say when they say it.

Last edited by WildCowboy; Feb 5, 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: post merge
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:05 PM   #23
hanpa
macrumors member

I suppose that you need to have to app running to use GPS, making it more or less worthless since background execution is not allowed.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:06 PM   #24
ccoulson
macrumors newbie

MobileMe should do this...

I'd like to see Apple provide this through the MobileMe Family Pack and the Where's My iPhone feature.

BTW, if you download one of the browsers from the AppStore - like Perfect Browser - you *can* access me.com and do a Where's My iPhone - I have done this to keep tabs on my kids.
ccoulson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:10 PM   #25
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Why don't we just implant our kids with tracking devices? Why stop at the kids? Perhaps the state should implant all of us! It amazes me to see people embrace ideas like this with absolutely no concern for the long-term ramifications. I guess "privacy" and "individuality" are outdated concepts in the tech slave age. Today, FamilyMap. Tomorrow, well, I shudder to think.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion