Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Don't know much about liquid cooling but do know that Macs last for ages.

Will this process be mechanically sound after 4-5 years or longer?

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Liquid cooling has been around for a while in the PC world, Macs have been out of the loop all this time. If Apple uses the self contain sealed type liquid cooling, it shouldn't be different than your liquid pipe type heatsink for CPUs and GPUs. However, most people who uses liquid cooling use the open type water variation, so there's no telling how long the sealed type can last. But what's inside those pipes ain't water.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
My guess . . . given how reliable cooling systems in fridges and freezers are and that fact the apple system is simpler: I think the cooling system will well outlast the usable lifespan of the computer. IMO apple would not have released it if they were not sure it would last at least 5-7 years without any type of maintenance.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
dvdh said:
IMO apple would not have released it if they were not sure it would last at least 5-7 years without any type of maintenance.

I would agree with this. Since liquid-cooling is considered a relatively laborious process, only to be undertaken by true PC Modders, for Apple to institutue it in their computers, they would have to make the system as neat, painless, and maintenance free as possible.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
From my admittedly shallow knowledge of historical liquid cooling systems, i would think 20-30 years... I don't think the pump will wear out, since it's not a mechanical pump, and that's often what kills cooling systems. But think of it this way: the liquid cooling system in a window air-conditioner is much more complex, runs more liquid, is two stage, and has more mechanical parts; yet it's not at all uncommon for them to last 15-20+ years.

bottom line: something else will die on the G5s before the cooling system breaks down.

paul

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
paulwhannel said:
From my admittedly shallow knowledge of historical liquid cooling systems, i would think 20-30 years... I don't think the pump will wear out, since it's not a mechanical pump, and that's often what kills cooling systems. But think of it this way: the liquid cooling system in a window air-conditioner is much more complex, runs more liquid, is two stage, and has more mechanical parts; yet it's not at all uncommon for them to last 15-20+ years.

bottom line: something else will die on the G5s before the cooling system breaks down.

paul

Thank you Paul. This certainly gives me more confidence in the purchase of a 2.5 G5. I have always considered Apple to mean quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.