Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

181225-ipadsdk.png

Apple has released to developers the iPhone SDK 3.2 Beta 2 for iPad. The 3.2 SDK was first released in January so developers could begin adapting their iPhone applications for the iPad.

The SDK supports the 1024x768 screen size of the iPad amongst other new interface features. Early word on the new SDK shows few major differences between the first and second betas though additional details may leak out over the next few days.

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhone SDK 3.2 Beta 2 (for iPad)

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I don't see anything different either.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Does it contain api's for the isight camera?

I'm quietly hoping they figure that out & sneak it in before launch, to reduce the overall level of pissed-offedness about this thing.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Just like with the iPhone, the Appstore is what is going to make this device exceptional and revolutionary.

Let the creativity begin!!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the "camera hooks" are still in there.

Come on devs, start giving up the secrets! Dashboard yet? Where is Weather, Stocks, Calculator and Clock?

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Does the SDK give any indication that iPad will natively support tethering to the iPhone? I heard some rumors of this being in the first beta, but I have not been able to find anything definitive.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Come on devs, start giving up the secrets! Dashboard yet? Where is Weather, Stocks, Calculator and Clock?

The camera hooks will always be in there because the SDK is for the iPhone also.

That's why it's called the "iPhone Software Development Kit."

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The camera hooks will always be in there because the SDK is for the iPhone also.

That's why it's called the "iPhone Software Development Kit."

Indeed. And folks - if there are any goodies coming, Apple isn't going to tell us developers until the last possible minute.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008

Things i've been wondering since the first day the iPad was announced!

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Provide a diff!

Is is really so hard to provide an upgrade SDK instead of having to download the whole 2GB+ every time some Apple employee adds a comment to a header file?

Ulrikdamm

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
The only major new thing in the diff file is the addition of Core Text, and you can now make iPhone apps into universal apps that will run on both the iPhone and the iPad. Other than that, bug fixes.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
The only major new thing in the diff file is the addition of Core Text, and you can now make iPhone apps into universal apps that will run on both the iPhone and the iPad. Other than that, bug fixes.

So eventually the iPhone and iPod Touch will get 3.2 and then all devices will run the same OS? :confused:

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
THE KEY QUESTION is: does the iPhone Simulator includes Safari not only for iPhone BUT ALSO for iPad? Thanks.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Apple updates the SDK for the iPad and there are 14 negatives to this article? What for? Damn, what's wrong with some people here? :rolleyes:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Apple updates the SDK for the iPad and there are 14 negatives to this article? What for? Damn, what's wrong with some people here? :rolleyes:

It contains the word "iPad." That sends the angry iPad-hating horde here into a frenzy. I can't wait for the menstruation jokes to start flying again. :(

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
THE KEY QUESTION is: does the iPhone Simulator includes Safari not only for iPhone BUT ALSO for iPad? Thanks.

Why would that matter?

You think it will secretly have flash or something? Lol.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

This is what I first noticed when it was first announced a few weeks ago, and it's what makes me believe that Apple didn't show off the final version of the iPad on stage.

140,000 apps have the option to x2 in size for the screen resolution, but not Stocks, Weather, Clock or the Calculator. it seems odd that apple left those out.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The more I look at the differences between iPhone and iPad apps, the more I have to ask if a universal binary makes sense. They may both run on the iPhone OS, but the interface will be very different between the two devices in most cases. Look at Apple's examples like Contacts, Calendar, YouTube, Mail, they're totally different from the iPhone version. Even full-screen apps and/or games have a problem because you're going to want much higher-resolution textures for the iPad. Do you really want all the people who are only using the iPhone version to be required to download those large textures that they won't even use (which may well no longer fit inside the 10 MB limit for 3G downloading)?

What I'd like to see instead of (or maybe in addition to) universal binaries is the ability for a developer to link two or more apps in the app store, so once you buy one, you can download the other(s) for free. An extension of this that would be great is to link multiple apps into discounted bundles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.