Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You need to use Boot Camp!

Seconded!

What i mean is...

Its almost like the flightsim doesnt take into consideration drag? , If i fly level at low speed(close to the stall) and go to a seriously high climb angle, it will do so instantly , no lag , no drag , no bogging down , nothing. That isnt realistic!

X-Plane calculates drag based on airframe components and power based on what the designer of the airplane designates. It's the only retail flight sim that I know of that does this. And X-Plane as been certified by the FAA. That means something. I used to fly a DC9 (a real one) and took an X-Plane DC9 on a cross country trip and it's performance was very realistic. Now there are thousands of aircraft out there that have been designed by individuals who could have been unrealistic in their power designation or created fantasy planes. :)

The best way to test this is see if you can find a WWI aircraft modeled in X-Plane and try your maneuver. If you don't stall post haste, then I might agree there are some holes in the flight model. The other possibility would be to email the X-Plane author, Austin Myer at X-Plane.com.

Aikiman

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I liked Falcon 4.0 unfortunately it was never released on OSX. It was more than a flight sim, it was mission based fighter pilot adventure in South Korea...very cool.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
When I was learning to fly a few years back the weather was bad one day when I had booked a flight so I was told I could have some time on their flight sim setup. They had both MSFS and X-plane. Since I only have Macs and hadn't had a chance to try MSFS I thought I would give it a go. I did a perfect takeoff, circuit and landing. At that stage, there is simply no way I could have done that. X-plane wins my vote for being much more realistic although I have to admit that for practicing my procedures for circuits I thought FlightGear was also very good because it had mouse-look so I could look over my shoulder down at the runway as I paralleled it.

9/10ths of the realism comes from taking it seriously though. Have a proper yoke and pedals and act like you're really flying - I bought all the stuff so I could just drill myself without having to pay for time in a real plane and for that it worked really well.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Hello the xplane looks very good but anyone know of good controls that work on xplane & imac

would like a joystick then maybe throttles and pedals

though price may rule this idea
I'm using Saitek Pro Yoke and Throttle Quadrant on my Core i7 desktop for X-Plane 9 with Snow Leopard and MS FSX with 64 bit Windows 7. I'm using CH Flightstick Pro on my Core2Duo 2.8 GHz desktop for X-Plane 9 with Leopard. Both the joystick and the yoke work great for me with X-Plane.

FSX did not like my joystick, but it somewhat likes my Yoke. X-Plane likes both units. I have the yoke and quadrant programmed for utmost efficiency in X-Plane, and everything works to perfection. Same for the CH joystick and X-Plane.
I am having a problem getting the yoke and quadrant programmed in FSX just like I had with the joystick. Some programming would take, but then would not work with the next flight. Other programming just will not take. Anyone have clues to make it work?

Kaver

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2005
Godzone
I liked Falcon 4.0 unfortunately it was never released on OSX. It was more than a flight sim, it was mission based fighter pilot adventure in South Korea...very cool.

There is a note on the GraphSim website - to the effect that an OS-X version of Falcon 4.0 (Allied Force) is currently in beta testing at Lead Pursuit - no details of a release date.

http://www.graphsim.com/
http://www.lead-pursuit.com/

This was confirmed by an email I received from GraphSim when I enquired further!

I can hardly wait ...... Now, if only they would release a new version of F/A-18 Hornet (OIF) with updated graphics. Along with X-Plane, OS-X would be fairly well served with flight simulators.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This question comes up quite a bit.

But I agree with the X-Plane answer.

I also agree with X-Plane except that it has no damage modeling. If you want to dogfight other people, I'd recommend Warbirds although my disclaimer is it's been a decade since I've played it and I believe it requires a subscription.

ComputerPilot

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
X-Plane didn't work for me at all

After reading so many good things about X-Plane I downloaded their trial version for both Mac and PC. Both failed miserably. I don't have a joystick or rudder pedals so for demo purposes I had to use the keyboard/mouse.

On the PC, pressing F2 to open the throttle simply started Microsoft Word software. On the Mac it increased the screen brightness.

Pressing the "b" key to release the brakes did nothing in either case.

Lower half of the instrument panel was hidden in both cases. Couldn't move it and could not operate those controls.

Clicking the mouse in the center of the windscreen brought up a white box but nothing else happened.

The only thing that seemed to work was that I could listen to tower chatter.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
After reading so many good things about X-Plane I downloaded their trial version for both Mac and PC. Both failed miserably. I don't have a joystick or rudder pedals so for demo purposes I had to use the keyboard/mouse.

On the PC, pressing F2 to open the throttle simply started Microsoft Word software. On the Mac it increased the screen brightness.

Pressing the "b" key to release the brakes did nothing in either case.

Lower half of the instrument panel was hidden in both cases. Couldn't move it and could not operate those controls.

Clicking the mouse in the center of the windscreen brought up a white box but nothing else happened.

The only thing that seemed to work was that I could listen to tower chatter.

I wouldn't say that X-Plane is the easiest software to learn.
I think your main problem is your keys are conflicting with other applications.
I do not understand why "b" wouldn't work. You could try "v" as that will apply and release the brakes also.
I know this is obvious but make sure you don't have your caps or numbers locked on the keyboard.
Go to Settings>>Joystick & Equipment>>Keys. You can change your keys there.

With a little practice the mouse should work okay for you.
I like using my Wacom tablet and pen.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I also agree with X-Plane except that it has no damage modeling. If you want to dogfight other people, I'd recommend Warbirds although my disclaimer is it's been a decade since I've played it and I believe it requires a subscription.
X-Plane 9 is a very good simulator for flying and keeping flight skills current. It was not designed to be a "shoot m up" game.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I like using my Wacom tablet and pen.
Do you really fly with a wacom tablet. One of the reasons I like MSFSX over X-plane is the controls feel better in MSFSX that in X-plane. I X-plane things are always jumping around.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Do you really fly with a wacom tablet. One of the reasons I like MSFSX over X-plane is the controls feel better in MSFSX that in X-plane. I X-plane things are always jumping around.

You might want to try turning down all of the wind speeds in the weather panel. I've heard they are greatly exaggerated.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007

Yeah, I do. I've been doing it for a long time so it feels good to me.
I've got a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with a quadrant throttle. I suppose I should set that up one of these days.

I've got MSFS also. The main reason I prefer X-Plane is I am used to it.
I've got some nice planes and plug-ins for it.

Right now I am using Reality XP's GNS 530 WAAS. Very, very nice.
It's got all the bells and whistles of the real GNS 530.
I program it with my flight plan, throw it up into the top right hand corner.
All my keys are programed.
I turn off the cockpit view and nagivate strictly by the GNS 530 and keyboard.
Great fun!

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I've got a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with a quadrant throttle. I suppose I should set that up one of these days.

I've got MSFS also. The main reason I prefer X-Plane is I am used to it.
I've got some nice planes and plug-ins for it.

Your Saitek Pro Flight Yoke works great with X-Plane.

But I cannot get it to accept programming with FSX so I have to use the default settings.

ducatidog996

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
hey guys, i know i am a bit of a "noob" here and all but can you run a flight simulator on a macbook, not a desktop? and still use a joy stick with it?

once again sorry i know i am a noob i just need answers please!

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
hey guys, i know i am a bit of a "noob" here and all but can you run a flight simulator on a macbook, not a desktop? and still use a joy stick with it?

Let's see... In principle the only difference whatsoever between a laptop (MacBook) and a desktop is the form factor. Pretty much everything else is common between them. The main differences will be processing capability; but you get this between desktops and between laptops too. A MacBook should be fine from this stand-point.

I can think of no reason why a joystick wouldn't work!

We're normally quite kind to 'noobs' here; there aren't many flamethrowers either!

/geek's way of saying 'no'

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007

There are many people running X-Plane on MacBook Pros and MacBooks and using a joystick.
You can find most of them at forums.x-plane.org

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007

A Macbook has integrated graphics, so I do not know how well it will run X-Plane. One thing I know for sure, from the X-Plane web site, that the program will not run on Intel integrated graphics.
Anyone have comments?

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
A Macbook has integrated graphics, so I do not know how well it will run X-Plane. One thing I know for sure, from the X-Plane web site, that the program will not run on Intel integrated graphics.
Anyone have comments?

This is my understanding...the newest MacBook and MacBook Pros have both an NVIDIA video card and integrated Intel HD Graphics.
They will actually swtich from one to another seamlessly depending upon the workload.
For gaming, the NVIDIA video card will kick-in.
Apple calls it automatic graphics switching.
Apple also claims that the MacBook and MacBook Pro give up to 1.8 times better gaming performance than previous generations.

Macbookgpu.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.