Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

About viruses and other threatening malware
There are currently, as of today, NO (ZERO) Mac OS X viruses in public circulation. That may change in the future, but for the last ten years Mac OS X has been void of viruses.​

What is (computer) malware: Wiki,​

What is crime-ware: report by DHS

For further clarification on existing threats for Mac OS X and the differences between viruses, trojans, worms and other kinds of malware:

About file quarantine in Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6 - files you download via Safari, iChat, or Mail are checked for safety when you open them​

Software for Mac OS X

Other useful links

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

Have you actually read what you linked to?

Use the search function of your browser (CMD+F) and enter the word virus to see the 98 individual matches for the word virus.
If the malware is declared as virus, it only affects either System 6 or 7 or Mac OS Classic (Mac OS 8 and 9).
Also the word "virus" is often used to refer to iAntiVirus.

If the malware with the word "virus" in it is affecting Mac OS X, it is often a trojan or worm or any other kind of malware, but NOT a virus.

Please read the link I provide to GGJStudios more extensive (than mine) post about the differences between viruses, trojans, worms and any other malware.

And Mac OS Classic and System 6 and System 7 are not the same as Mac OS X.

Does that clarify the issue for you?

Btw, using MRoogle will find you hundreds of threads about this issue.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
you should clarify your OP with info about malware, people care about malware as much as they care about viruses.

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
i know what a virus is, and frankley people care about malware as much as they care about viruses.

saying macs have no viruses and not saying that they can be infected by malware is like saying apple products are so cheap but not mentioning the price.

Then you know the difference between a virus and a trojan I suppose?

I just stated, that there are currently no viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation.

I also linked to several articles and information for people to learn more about malware, and that many malware needs active user interaction, especially with trojans on Mac OS X, as they have to be manually installed by the user or someone knowing the account details.

Just because many people don't know what a virus is exactly, doesn't mean we have to call ALL malware a virus.

Mac OS X has its weaknesses, but viruses it ain't.

I will add GGJstudios' link to my guide when I have the time to properly implement it, as GGJstudios provided a lot of information on that issue.

And it is frustrating to see people come here and calling some kind of error happening to their computers a result of a virus, as this is misleading and will lead to derailment of the issue at hand. Just use MRoogle to find many of these "virus" threat threads and you'll see.

Anyway, as you claim to know better, why did you write this?

It is misleading information, often called a lie and thus not really furthering people's "fight" against their ignorance (of which I possess a lot in many areas).

Ah, now you are changing the past.

you should clarify your OP with info about malware, people care about malware as much as they care about viruses.

As I replied while you were changing what you wrote, I will do that in the future.
I add the link to GGJstudios' post right now.

sleepingmax

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
To Save or Not

Thanks for the info. I downloaded some free e-books and other items and did not want to make a big mistake deleting things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.