Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
So, my pretty little Alum 1.25 PB has this little pop out metal piece that extends about half an inch from the body. push once it comes out, push again it hides back into place. This, I assumed, was an airport antenna, as my Dad as a similar push metal rod that extends from the exact same place on his 867 Ti PB.

I've been very happy thinking this was what it was, until I put a PCMCIA card reader in there. Now the button would also serve the purpose of being an eject button for the PCMCIA card?! I can extend the rod out, but as soon as I push it back in it works just like an old car tape ejector. I pus it in, the card pops out.

I went to my Dad with my card, told him the issue. He swears he attached his AP card to the "antenna", but sure enough we put my card in his slot, extended the rod, and pushed it back in and it popped the PCMCIA card right out of his computer.

So, as much as it's nice to be able to remove the card easily, this is pretty annoying. Or maybe it wouldn't be annoying if I knew that what I thought was an extended AP antenna, really isn't?

Can anyone shed some light for me? :(

Tyler

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
jsw said:
It's not the antenna. It's there to eject the PCMCIA cards. The antenna is internal.

So then it's one of those "I-want-to-believe" illusions that makes me think I get another bar or sometimes two when I extend it?

How about on my dad's Ti Book? He swears he attached the AP card to it when he installed it. When I showed him this he wanted to go and break open his computer again and make sure...

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
That button only ejects the PCMCIA card. As jsw said, the antenna is internal. If you look at the sides of your lid on your PowerBook, you'll see two plastic things, about 5 cm long, one on each side of the lid. These are the airport antennas.

Your dad's TiBook has the antenna located near the keyboard. The Aluminum PowerBooks have better AirPort reception because the antennas are located higher up in the display.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
MoparShaha said:
That button only ejects the PCMCIA card. As jsw said, the antenna is internal. If you look at the sides of your lid on your PowerBook, you'll see two plastic things, about 5 cm long, one on each side of the lid. These are the airport antennas.

Your dad's TiBook has the antenna located near the keyboard. The Aluminum PowerBooks have better AirPort reception because the antennas are located higher up in the display.

Thanks for the info guys!

Tyler

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
MoparShaha said:
Your dad's TiBook has the antenna located near the keyboard

wrong: on the ti-book you see two 'grooves' one on each side, the antenna's are there... and you can boost the reception a little by pushing them flat to the sides inside the Pb, I did it on my former Ti-Book and it helped a little...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I believe the antennae on the Tibooks varies from model to model. My 1Ghz has them on either siide near the the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.