Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claaariii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Hi, I have a powerbook g4 that won't boot...I initially would get a kernel panic error after the apple loading screen, so i would reset and just kept getting back to the error. I searched through some forums and tried resetting the pram, now after the loading screen the screen just goes black (computer is on, just plain black screen). In looking through forums I read that the kernel panic is usually a hardware error; I have a new macbook that i got right before this powerbook stopped loading (at least got everything copied into the new one :)) and my husband had been using the pb for the last few weeks, mostly just watching tv online...nothing strange. he got a few kernel panics the last couple days, but he would turn off and i'd open it just fine in the morning. he mentioned the screen had started flickering a few times...and now on the gray apple loading screen - the only actual image that the computer loads - the little apple also flashes between it's regular gray color and like stripy/blocky blue squares...could it be a monitor problem?? I found a bunch of "powerbook not booting" forums, but none mentioned the flickering screen...It'd be nice to know what's going on and fix it, if possible...thanks for any help!

PikachuMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
do ur powerbook have 2 sticks of ram? if so take out one, try booting. if unsuccessful, switch sticks and see if the other 1 will allow you to boot.

theres a way to run apple hardware test from disc, but i guess you cant even get to that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.