Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollyw0od

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
It's more work than I'd thought it would be to make the switch, but maybe it will pay off once everything is well understood. The OS is quite different; sort of reminds me of Linux. Maybe that's because it's based off Unix.

Hoping to have this question answered more thoroughly in a few weeks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Seems so:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

And the use of an OS is individually different to everyone. Some like the new experience of Mac OS X and do feel comfortable, some never switched from Windows, because they always used Mac OS X, and some Windows-to-Mac switcher go back, because Windows offers more for them.

Right now I don't see many reasons to go back to Windows, so I'll stay with one fine user experience, which does also include some hiccups of course. Neither OS is perfect in every way.

It's more work than I'd thought it would be to make the switch, but maybe it will pay off once everything is well understood. The OS is quite different; sort of reminds me of Linux. Maybe that's because it's based off Unix.

Hoping to have this question answered more thoroughly in a few weeks.

Have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 - keyboard shortcuts

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Yes, people will and do switch back. There was a long thread here about a month ago. She had a business, switched to a Mac without adequate preparation for the transition (IMHO) and despite a few of us giving her lots of advice found the Mac could not do what she needed it to do. c'est la vie.....

More interesting question..... how many long time Mac users switch away? Its easy to rationalize someone who moved from Windows to Mac and then back. Its easy to say (true or not) that they didn't give it enough time. But what about the long time Mac user?

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
I used Windows for a long time before ever getting near a mac, through college and work etc. But a mac was the first computer I ever personally owned, when I set up a home recording studio I went for mac partly because the people I worked with used them and partly because of the supposed ease to set things up compared to a windows computer. Now I can't see myself ever owning a Windows PC, this mac does everything that I need it to do, easily and just feels more 'fun' to use than Windows ever did (though i know that was in a totally different environment).

The more i learn about it, and the Leopard update in particular just blew me away, the more I love it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That's right; has anyone actually cut ties with OSX...for good?

no. but if my computer usage habits change, i probably will.

if i resign from my job at a recording studio, and ditch my record label, and never do music production again, i will probably be back on windows or linux.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
While I do love OSX and I think it is fundamentally better then any version of windows, it isn't without it's flaws. Also Windows 7 is good and I can see people using it without problems. Then there are people who switch to the Mac with too high of expectations or unrealistic expectations and are disappointed.

OSX, Windows 7, use whatever makes you happy and you like. Neither are perfect, but so what.

mplsdunk

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Minneapolis
i have used macs in the past but never owned one. i made the switch last month. i will never buy another pc again unless i need one for work or something.

g3powerbook boy

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
almost 2 months ago i bought my first mac product a g3 imac love it so much i bought 3 g3 powerbook laptops that were listed on craigslist as for parts only and rebuilt one for me and working on the other to sell. only thing wrong with them is the idiot that had them tried to put windows vista on them. i have a windows pc as well but only use that if and when the need arrises like storing photos and video from my digital camera and maybe a weather radar application but thanks to the people here i have located some really nice weather applications made for mac... so i may not be using the windows pc much unless as a back up unit i am a stormchaser so during the severe weather season my computers cant be acting up! i dont think i would ever buy a new/newer windows baised unit as long as apple is still around. Apple is the ultimate computer! :apple:

benjamin747

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
Kinda

I have never broken my tie with OSX but sort of with Macs. Macs are too pricy so I *didn't* :D install OSX on my Acer Aspire One! Works great!

None the less I have an Apple 2, A Plus, A performa, A duo dock, a Tangerine iBook, a couple bubbles, 2 iMac g4s, 3 iMac G5s, one new Intel iMac, a PowerBook g4 and a matte black Macbook and a new silver one...

I am not addicted to the :apple:! :rolleyes:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Owned a 6500/250, got my money back on it as it really was not good - bought a 1st Gen iMac and was fairly happy for a few years with that.

Not owned a Mac for about 8 years now, don't feel any need nor desire to buy another - very much interested in Apple still though.

craighton

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
Seattle, Washington
I tried out Mac when the G3 was still popular and I have had Mac's ever since. I can say that I will never go back to having a Windows PC as my main computer but I still use it for some programs and processes that a Mac cannot run

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
For what I do on my personal computer, they serve me equally well.

I prefer OSX now that I've been using it for a while but I'd really have no issues going back to Windows if I had to.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I switched to Mac back during the XP days, used to think I'd never go back. But the combination of a nice little NetBook with Win 7 is looking doable. Gonna have to see how this iPad thing pans out.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I find Win 7 much more acceptable than any other MS OS, but I don't see myself leaving Mac as my main computer.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
My first mac was a 2005 Apple-refurbished iBook 1.33 12". My other choice at the time was slightly cheaper IBM-refurbished T-22. I did not regret my decision.

When my iBook finally died last November, I was short on funds so I reluctantly tried some Windows and Linux netbooks and budget 13" laptops. Disappointed with both their hardware and software, I checked out some 13" laptops in the same price range as the white macbooks. I wasn't happy with them either. So I ended up taking out a salary loan and getting a pre-unibody White Macbook 2.13 at a closeout sale.

I'm now hopelessly hooked on Macs. I don't think I'm "going back" anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.