Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Took a trip to the airport today...thought the colors were really good.
3932290228_a67db6e831.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I know how hard it is to photograph ancient sites. They may be interesting to look at, but it's hard to make the picture work... and make 'visual sense'. You seem to have got the lighting just right here, so we can get a real idea of the site and its significance. I bet there are a lot of archaeological people who would be interested in your work, if you could produce this kind of quality on a regular basis (or maybe this is something you do already)...

My usual method - go to the right place at the right time and wait to see what happens - didn’t work for me yesterday (though I’m always amazed just how often it does). I stood on a hill, lined up the shot of a small lakeland town, with lake in front and mountains behind. I knew the sun would light up the houses, and give good side-lighting on some of the peaks. But as soon as I’d set up my tripod, the clouds kinda joined together into one big cloud, and, though I waited an hour, the sun never showed again. But it wasn’t a waste of time: I have a better idea about how to get the shot next time, and I had an hour watching clouds.

On the way home I shot a petrol station with a bit of light in the sky, which will go to Alamy, and maybe make a sale or two (“sunset for the oil industry”?)...

petrolstation.jpg

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
peabody - that's making me hungry. How'd you make that?

haha

Sauted broccoli florets, then stir-fried in sliced beef rounds, and made a sauce up out of oyster sauce, mandarin sauce, honey and sesame oil. All tossed up with some starch to thicken up the sauce ... it was amazing.

I should show you these too:
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0024-1.jpg

Some quick honey (pecan) shrimp, and shrimp and asparagus fried rice. amazing! Sometimes the best meal is one you make yourself.

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
From the Autoshow in Toronto... BMW 760Li Individual M-Sport

Attachments

• BMW 760Li Individual M-Sport.jpg
    BMW 760Li Individual M-Sport.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 88

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
imgp95231.jpg

Pentax K10D - 30s - f/8.0 - ISO100 - 16mm (24mm equiv)

Another gorgeous interpretation in your signature style. You're inspiring me to try some long exposures at the water's edge, since I've got plenty of Pacific nearby. You create an almost imaginary world with the way you capture the water and turn it into atmosphere... really like the b/w treatment.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
We had some snow (in Texas, 12+ inches!), and this little Cardinal was in my back yard.. He flew off after this first shot.

4358051709_57c7952b9d_b.jpg

jayfire124

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
HDR first attempt

My first attempt at HDR taken last week in Tenerife, Puerto De La Cruz.
3 exposures bracketed 0, +2, -2

Attachments

• Tenerife San Telmo.jpg
    Tenerife San Telmo.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 85

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Quincy Market in downtown Boston at dusk (feedback encouraged!)

IMG_1012.jpg

It's overall a decent image, and I like the composition. It appears to be processed as an HDR, am I right? The things that somehow catch my eye are that the building on the right appears to be leaning over toward the center and the left side of the market building seems to lean even more the further back in the frame you look. And a fair amount of purple color in the branches, I'm not sure if it's purple fringing, post-processing, or just from the pinkish/purplish color in the wispy clouds behind the tree, but it seems a bit unnatural. Also, I'm detecting a bit of haloing around the tower/building edges. I realize that with a wide-angle lens the "leaning" distortion is tough to avoid if you have to point the lens even slightly up to take in the view, and sometimes it's perfectly fine in a shot, but somehow it distracts me here.

So, for me--lots of things right, but just a couple of distractions.

Keep 'em coming. :)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
This building was originally the pump house on some rich guy's estate back in the early 1900's . The property is now a park and whenever I get up there I always seem to take a picture of it . Anyway , Sunday was a pretty gray day, and the image didn't have much color to start with,so I thought I'd turn the shot into a monochrome image. Upped the exposure by .5 stops and used the Alien Skin Exposure sepia Daugerrotype plugin to get the toning.

IMG_2010bw_1319.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
From Kenmore, Scotland.

I'm trying out some HDR shots as the overcast weather is making all my shots pretty dull. However, I think this one turned out alright!

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
I just found a huge set of these taken last year in my friends huge barn/garage. His dad is a professional photographer and has a lighting rig in this barn/garage place! I was also lucky enough to use his 5DMKI and L lens. These were some of the first photos i ever took :) I didn't even have my own camera at this point! No PP other than the b&w. Feedback appreciated.
4358707157_28ff1556a4_b.jpg

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
St.John's newfoundland

view of the harbour from the rooms.

Attachments

• DSC03257.JPG
    DSC03257.JPG
    583.9 KB · Views: 75

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I just found a huge set of these taken last year in my friends huge barn/garage. His dad is a professional photographer and has a lighting rig in this barn/garage place! I was also lucky enough to use his 5DMKI and L lens. These were some of the first photos i ever took :) I didn't even have my own camera at this point! No PP other than the b&w. Feedback appreciated.
4358707157_28ff1556a4_b.jpg

I really like this. I think the light on the right is a little hot, maybe could have been moved further away from the wall (if it was intentional), but I love the feeling of the photo.

Here's one of mine:

4356894691_d7a5ac488a.jpg

Nikon D90 w/ Sigma 24-70 f2.8
1/160
f8
46mm
Studio strobe behind backdrop to camera left

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
6s8x88

I've downloaded the Aperture 3 trial and had some time to play with it today to see how far I can push/pull images (it's a holiday in Ontario). This is a re-process of a field I shot last summer. While it is over the top on saturation, I'm impressed how far it can be pushed before clipping occurs. The final image is closer to the perceived brilliance and saturation of the observed scene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.