Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
When you have created a ringtone in .m4r format and its sitting on your desktop, how do you get it into iTunes?...there is no Ringtones folder under the Library section, only

Music
Movies
TV Shows
Podcasts
Applications
Radio

or do you just drag it into your main music section?

Thanks!

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
Just drag it into your main music section. It should automatically create a 'Ringtones' category.

rmcwmson

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Need help with the itunes ringtone folder

Hey need help I made my snippet of a ringtone at 30 seconds and I moved it into the itunes main music folder and it did not create the Ringtone folder. Is the process different somehow on a 8GB iphone?:confused:

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Hey need help I made my snippet of a ringtone at 30 seconds and I moved it into the itunes main music folder and it did not create the Ringtone folder. Is the process different somehow on a 8GB iphone?:confused:

It should be the same. is it a legit ringtone, or did you just shorten a song to ringtone length?

Poat84

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Thats one good thing about itunes, its really easy to make ringtones:D

rmcwmson

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
itunes conversion

So how do I do the itunes conversion on the song. It is a song that I made a 24 second snippet on. So, you are right it is still a m4a file. So now how do I turn it into a m4r file?:confused:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
If you just shorten a song to 30 seconds, its still a song. if you drag both to the desktop, you will see the song is m4a and the ringtone is m4r

You have to convert it to AAC (m4a).

So how do I do the itunes conversion on the song. It is a song that I made a 24 second snippet on. So, you are right it is still a m4a file. So now how do I turn it into a m4r file?:confused:

If you have a m4a file, drag it to the desktop. Click show extension, if you don't have that on. Change the extension to m4r (change the "a" to "r"). Then either double click the m4r or drag it into iTunes.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
My favorite method for iPhone ringtone creation is audiko.net. You upload your mp3 song, trim it, and it gives you a variety of download file type links including iPhone m4a/r formats you can then drag into iTunes :cool:

rmcwmson

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
making m4a to m4r

when I took the aac version to the desktop then I click on it with the control it does not give me the option to show extension. Am I doing something wrong? I am new to an apple (mac) computer so I am needing a lot of help. Thank you so much for you help.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
when I took the aac version to the desktop then I click on it with the control it does not give me the option to show extension. Am I doing something wrong? I am new to an apple (mac) computer so I am needing a lot of help. Thank you so much for you help.

Go to the Finder, then go to Preferences, then go to the Advanced tab, then check the box that says: Show all file extensions. Hope that helps you.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

Sorry, I didn't help you further, but I didn't know you were new. Anyway, the poster above fixed you up. Now, hopefully, you'll get your ringtones.

BTW, audiko.net is okay, but the problem is you have to be on the internet. Once you get used to the iTunes method, you won't need to bother with anything else.

XBC

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
OK...I'm not there yet with creating this ringtone. I'm totally new to macs and (actually) find them far from intuitive.

I've got as far as having a 'ringtone' folder in my itunes music list. I can see the track in the ringtone folder. What I cant do is get the ringtone onto the iphone. If I click 'device' and 'ringtones' nothing shows up. Syncing achieves nothing (well, nothing I can detect).

So..how do I get it from ringtones folder into the iphone and then how do I get it to be my ring tone. :confused:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
OK...I'm not there yet with creating this ringtone. I'm totally new to macs and (actually) find them far from intuitive.

I've got as far as having a 'ringtone' folder in my itunes music list. I can see the track in the ringtone folder. What I cant do is get the ringtone onto the iphone. If I click 'device' and 'ringtones' nothing shows up. Syncing achieves nothing (well, nothing I can detect).

So..how do I get it from ringtones folder into the iphone and then how do I get it to be my ring tone. :confused:

You can't just put a ringtone in the folder and expect it to work. You have to drag it into the ringtones tab in iTunes or just double click the ringtone. Then you can sync it. Did you read any of the above?

XBC

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
I might be new but I'm not a dimwit.

There is clearly something wrong with that particular itunes file. It won't go into the ringtone file for whatever reason.

ramayne

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
been following this thread and it has helped somewhat - however - I created a ringtone, m4r that would only stay in music folder as I could not create ringtone folder. I then synched my iphone and the song came across as a music file in ipod but nothing in ringtones..... have a missed a step somewhere...???? can someone help please...

weenie

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
My favorite method for iPhone ringtone creation is audiko.net. You upload your mp3 song, trim it, and it gives you a variety of download file type links including iPhone m4a/r formats you can then drag into iTunes :cool:

Thank you for this...

sadievan

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
been following this thread and it has helped somewhat - however - I created a ringtone, m4r that would only stay in music folder as I could not create ringtone folder. I then synched my iphone and the song came across as a music file in ipod but nothing in ringtones..... have a missed a step somewhere...???? can someone help please...

Just found this thread while researching ringtones. Before you drag the m4r file into iTunes, go to preferences\advanced tab and make sure there is a check by 'copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library'. This will create a Ringtone folder for you.

josue1

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
all you need to do is open itunes go to edit>preferences> check the ringtone box and click ok

ombrerana

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
latest OS and Ringtone creating does not work?

all you need to do is open itunes go to edit>preferences> check the ringtone box and click ok

I get to make the Ringtones folder by double-clicking the m4r file, but it does not show in the folder. Is the reason the Leopard last version? How to transfer the Ringtone to the iPhone4 then?

emert23

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
ok this is ridiculous, ive done everything that everyone has posted, ive got the ringtones folder and everything i brought this song from itunes is that the problem? cause i can;t convert it to an AAC Version whats going on please somebody help!! :confused:

dagerman

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
ok this is ridiculous, ive done everything that everyone has posted, ive got the ringtones folder and everything i brought this song from itunes is that the problem? cause i can;t convert it to an AAC Version whats going on please somebody help!! :confused:

If you have the song in your iTunes Library and it is less then ~38seconds long, you can create an AAC version from it by right-clicking the song (if you are on a Mac, hit the 'control'-key while clicking) and selecting 'Create AAC Version'.
Just renaming the file to m4r alone won't make it a ringtone.
Try that and let us know how it goes. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.