Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I voted for 1Password earlier in this this thread but I just wanted to come back and point out that you can access 1Password on a Windows PC if you use Dropbox. The only problem is that it's read-only.

ETA: Please disregard my answer above. Dropbox is handy to grab the necessary passwords if you already use it to sync 1Password. If not, you're looking for 1PasswordAnywhere which is a .html file. You can save this to a usb drive.

ellenm

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2010
I voted for 1Password earlier in this this thread but I just wanted to come back and point out that you can access 1Password on a Windows PC if you use Dropbox. The only problem is that it's read-only.

Thanks for the tip. As I use my MacBook more and more I might find that to be a viable solution.

g8rdmd

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
1Password question...

I've been running 1Password on a trial for about a week now and really like it... My only question is this: It can generate passwords for me and store them and automatically fill them in for me when I go to that specific site--what if I'm somewhere without my computer and I need to log into a site but don't remember the password that it generated? I would still have to either memorize everything or keep a master list with me, right? Or is there a way to make it "portable"?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If you do not have an iPhone or iPod Touch, and the 1Password app for either of them, then yes, you have to memorize the passwords.

For me, I keep 1Password synced between my iPhone and my Mac.

I've been running 1Password on a trial for about a week now and really like it... My only question is this: It can generate passwords for me and store them and automatically fill them in for me when I go to that specific site--what if I'm somewhere without my computer and I need to log into a site but don't remember the password that it generated? I would still have to either memorize everything or keep a master list with me, right? Or is there a way to make it "portable"?

Casey55

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
There is 1passwordanywhere.

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

Haven't used it so don't know much about it.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Sorry. There is a way to use 1Password when away from your computer. Save 1Password (export) as an HTML site. It protects it if you want and this can go on an some kind of flash drive.

I've used this method on a thumbdrive before and it does work.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I got 1Password through a MacHeist bundle or something, and it's the only app from any of those bundles I've ever grown absolutely dependent of**. I love it so much I even have 2 licenses... :p

I work as an online developer and I couldn't do my work if I hadn't had 1Password: It syncs to all my machines using the keychain in Dropbox tricks (which was needed earlier), and I've never - touch wood - had any problems with it.

(Not too happy with the iPhone version, but it's getting there, and the Secure Notes thingy is a bit handy).

**I also use LaunchBar on a daily basis, but I can always go back to QuickSilver if I need to (even though I switched because QS was a bit buggy a while back).

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I got 1Password through a MacHeist bundle or something, and it's the only app from any of those bundles I've ever grown absolutely dependent of**. I love it so much I even have 2 licenses... :p

I work as an online developer and I couldn't do my work if I hadn't had 1Password: It syncs to all my machines using the keychain in Dropbox tricks (which was needed earlier), and I've never - touch wood - had any problems with it.

(Not too happy with the iPhone version, but it's getting there, and the Secure Notes thingy is a bit handy).

**I also use LaunchBar on a daily basis, but I can always go back to QuickSilver if I need to (even though I switched because QS was a bit buggy a while back).

Well said. I gotten 1Password through a MacHeist bundle too (Or was it MUPromo? I can't remember too. :\) and in the beginning I thought that it was silly and stupid to store passwords in a single app.

A few months later I started using it as a daily app. Amazing.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I remember getting 2 licenses at the time because there was not a family license. Then v3 early bird update came out. Emailed the agile folks, gave them all the information and they converted one of the licenses to family and allowed me to purchase the update as a family license.

For me and my wife, it is an essential application.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
There is 1passwordanywhere.

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

Haven't used it so don't know much about it.

Thanks for posting this because I totally goofed up above. I meant to say that you can access 1Password on Windows using 1PasswordAnywhere. I mentioned Dropbox because I have 1Password synced with multiple macs and usually go to the Dropbox website to grab the .html when I need to access my passwords on Windows (rare). Dropbox is not needed if you don't need any syncing!

Apologies.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I use lastPass and was wondering if my online credit card purchases and anything else I do that requires a username and password is secure if I'm online with an unsecured network? I heard Leo LaPorte saying you can do that with Lastpass but there is a certain way you must do it he says and I didn't hear that (was listening on my car radio and went through a tunnel at that point). Anyone know?

Thanks
Steve

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I use lastPass and was wondering if my online credit card purchases and anything else I do that requires a username and password is secure if I'm online with an unsecured network? I heard Leo LaPorte saying you can do that with Lastpass but there is a certain way you must do it he says and I didn't hear that (was listening on my car radio and went through a tunnel at that point). Anyone know?

Make sure the site you're passing your credentials to is encrypted (https:// ).

MikeTranch

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
lastpass

I use lastpass, because it works well on Macs and PC, either with browser plugins or just via their website. As far as I can tell, they encrypt your info blah blah blah and it's supposed to be secure. Heck, banks and hospitals and stores have security issues all the time, so in reality nothing online is secure.

BTW, I one of the first to mention lastpass on the forum, but apparently got carried away, and got banned as a spammer, which I AM NOT. Just a regular guy, replying to this thread, OK. So please don't ban me again.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I use Lastpass now it has received the Steve Gibson thumb of approval (recent Security Now podcast with Leo Laporte). Gibson is as paranoid as paranoid security guys go. If he says something is safe and secure to use, and willingly uses it himself, that's good enough for me. :)

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I use LastPass but Leo LaPorte (The Tech Guy) said that for the highest security (like maybe you're on a public computer), you need to set up all your logins so it will ask that the little LastPass window drops down and then you to log into LastPass to be able to log into the site. Anyone heard about that?

Steve

I use Lastpass now it has received the Steve Gibson thumb of approval (recent Security Now podcast with Leo Laporte). Gibson is as paranoid as paranoid security guys go. If he says something is safe and secure to use, and willingly uses it himself, that's good enough for me. :)

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
Sync 1Password amongst three devices

Interesting thread...specially since I've read that some of you guys sync 1Password with several other devices. I've got 1Password installed in my MacBook, iMac and iPodTouch. As of right now it's sync between my iPodTouch and my MacBook, but I have passwords from sites I've visited only in my iMac. I would like to be able to sync amongst all three devices without overwriting any data. Is Dropbox a must have to do this?

I don't know if I've explained myself correctly. If I sync my iPodTouch with my Macbook and then sync the iPodTouch again but with the iMac this time...will the IpodTouch end up with all the passwords and data from both computers, or syncing the second time will overwrite the first sync?

After that, which is the best way to keep all three devices properly synced?

TIA

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Interesting thread...specially since I've read that some of you guys sync 1Password with several other devices. I've got 1Password installed in my MacBook, iMac and iPodTouch. As of right now it's sync between my iPodTouch and my MacBook, but I have passwords from sites I've visited only in my iMac. I would like to be able to sync amongst all three devices without overwriting any data. Is Dropbox a must have to do this?

I don't know if I've explained myself correctly. If I sync my iPodTouch with my Macbook and then sync the iPodTouch again but with the iMac this time...will the IpodTouch end up with all the passwords and data from both computers, or syncing the second time will overwrite the first sync?

After that, which is the best way to keep all three devices properly synced?

TIA

Can only be synced with one device as far as I know. You can sync multiple computers by using Dropbox but iDevices are a 1-to-1 sync.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
OK, so to elaborate a little bit more. If I can sync my two computers and then sync one of them with the Ipod everything should be in sync. So the main issue then is turning out to be how to keep both computers synced. Is Dropbox the best/only way to do this? Is Dropbox overkill for this one task?

On a side note: when I sync my iPod with my MacBook, is it safe to assume that it is a "one-way" sync from the computer to the iPod?

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
OK, so to elaborate a little bit more. If I can sync my two computers and then sync one of them with the Ipod everything should be in sync. So the main issue then is turning out to be how to keep both computers synced. Is Dropbox the best/only way to do this? Is Dropbox overkill for this one task?

On a side note: when I sync my iPod with my MacBook, is it safe to assume that it is a "one-way" sync from the computer to the iPod?

Drop box is by far the best way and really the only way I know of. I don't see it as overkill in any way. It also allows you to access 1Password from any computer with internet access. And a new perk, as of today, 1Password added Dropbox sync to your iDevices!! :)! That should making syncing between all your computers even easier. And now we can sync our iDevices even on the go!

In my experience the iDevice to Computer sync has been difficult to manage... I always manage to delete either stuff on my iPhone or my Mac... I think by default it transfers your iPhone data to your Mac, but if you click that checkbox it transfers from your Mac to your iPhone... But there is some sort of conflict resolution process it goes through asking you which u want to use if there is any conflict... But I have had a couple of bad experiences and it makes me very cautious whenever I try to sync them together. I'm hoping the dropbox sync won't cause me any sort of issues. I think it will do just fine :)

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
I use a program for Mac called Wallet, also has iPhone client. Similar concept but not exclusively for passwords (has a simple random pass generator) also stores credit cards, bank accounts, et al.

I am thinking of checking in to LastPass but not sure if I really need it.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
1Password is awesome. Gets updated on a regular, plus their customer service is great - usually reply within 24hrs. Highly recommended!

axcess99

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
LastPass is a cloud application. That means it could be cracked.

You should read/listen to http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm which reviews the lastpass architecture from a security vantage point. The LastPass servers have no useful data. The data is always encrypted client side using the master password. The master password is never sent to the LP servers in any form. LP themselves can not even access your data.

wns

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Very satisfied LastPass user. Moved away from 1Password due to inability to run on multi-platforms.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

1Password is awesome. I wish the iPhone and iPad app weren't separate purchase though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.