Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rashid Alkaabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hello,

I have been trying to burn DVD on my macbook pro (late 2008) using Disk Utility and Burn and I always faced a message that says: " The disc can't be burned; it might be incompatible with this sic drive. Please try a different brand of disc, or try burning at a slower speed". I can burn CDs just fine .. but when it comes to DVD +R +RW +DL I cannot ! I have important files that I need to burn but I can't due to this problem. I'd like to mention that I have tried 2 different DVD brands with the speed of x2 and x4 with no luck!

Help is highly appreciated.

Rashid

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I believe there are separate lasers in the drive for DVD's vs. CD's. I had the reverse issue - couldn't burn CD's. but I could burn DVD's. Turned out to be a problem with the drive.

If you can't EVER burn a DVD, even with different types of media, I would suspect a drive issue. If you have Apple Care, or are still under warranty, I would take it into the Apple Store for repairs.

If you are out of warranty, you might think about just getting an external USB DVD writer for those times when you need to burn DVD's. They are pretty cheap - less than $75... OWC has both internal and external replacement drives, but I suspect the internal drives are pretty tricky to replace:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

jnev

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
I have the exact same issue with my superdrive. the potentiometer just went out in it most likely, and there's no easy way of fixing it (to my knowledge). you can either replace the superdrive or buy an external optical drive (what I did, it's way cheaper).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.