Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
i had high hopes for the 3g since i love my old 2g so much... but this many hardware and software problem with it is just unacceptable.

wifi through internet was working fine few mintues ago. But now when i went to try it cannot connect to internet but can connect to my local network.... I restarted my modern and my router... The thing all other wifi computer on the network is working A OK, JUST the iphone cannot go online. 3G is fine, I can connect but not wifi. This is the first time i've encounter this problem can anybody offer me a fix that does not involve restoring and having to reinstall all my jailbroken apps??

i reset the phone at least 10 times, regular reboot it a few times. turn it on airplane and back about 20 times. and sync it a few times too. Still everything is fine with the phone except it cannot connect to internet through wifi... help

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
i had high hopes for the 3g since i love my old 2g so much... but this many hardware and software problem with it is just unacceptable.

wifi through internet was working fine few mintues ago. But now when i went to try it cannot connect to internet but can connect to my local network.... I restarted my modern and my router... The thing all other wifi computer on the network is working A OK, JUST the iphone cannot go online. 3G is fine, I can connect but not wifi. This is the first time i've encounter this problem can anybody offer me a fix that does not involve restoring and having to reinstall all my jailbroken apps??

Try a hard reset. That worked for someone having the same issue earlier.

And no offense, but it's not really fair to blame Apple for a problem that could very well be caused by the fact you have jailbroken your iPhone and/or jailbroken apps.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
hard resets as in holding home and power button?? i did that several times already still its connect to local network but not internet. I don't see how being jailbroken can cause this problem. I've had similiar problems on PC before and its almost always hardware problem.

So this is a common problem? how come i can't find any thread on this.. i must suck at search. Any other suggestions??

Oh and does anybody know what the vibrate during startup means??

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
hard resets as in holding home and power button?? i did that several times already still its connect to local network but not internet. I don't see how being jailbroken can cause this problem. I've had similiar problems on PC before and its almost always hardware problem.

So this is a common problem? how come i can't find any thread on this.. i must suck at search. Any other suggestions??

Oh and does anybody know what the vibrate during startup means??

The other fix I have seen for this issue is related to the DNS settings. Try this thread.

As for how jailbreaking and related apps could cause problems, that is sort of the problem with jailbreaking, you are relying on hacked code and anything could happen. Not knocking you for jailbreaking, just saying it is a risk one takes when one does it.

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007

i reset the phone at least 10 times, regular reboot it a few times. turn it on airplane and back about 20 times. and sync it a few times too. Still everything is fine with the phone except it cannot connect to internet through wifi... help

You didn't say whether you changed anything about your iPhone right before this happened. Maybe you installed a new app? This could have been as far in the past as the last time you were at home on your network, or even before if it's possible that you haven't been connecting through WiFi for a while without even noticing.

As big of a PITA that would be, I agree that this sounds like a hard-reset situation. Honestly, if it were me, I'd do a hard reset and then experiment by reinstalling each new "jailbroken" app one at a time and then testing for WiFi connectivity. If it is one of those that is causing it, that would be a pretty good way to see which might be causing your problems. I'm not very familiar with the whole jailbreaking scene, myself, but could it be the very jailbreaking procedure itself that is doing this?

I also agree with the above poster about the source of your frustrations. While it may well be your iPhone that is the problem, jailbreaking has its risks. I would tend to look at the non-OEM side of the phone first if stability was an issue before blaming the product.

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
hard resets as in holding home and power button??

I'm not sure what the above poster meant, but I meant hooking it up to iTunes and restoring. Then, maybe you could re-jailbreak your phone and re-install your apps one-by-one. Maybe you could try another jailbreaking application if such a thing exists (I imagine it does, but like I said above, I haven't trucked with them cats, so I'm not 100% sure).
Edit:Sorry about the no-multiquote, but posts 3 and 4 weren't there when I started post 5.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
How did you determine that your iPhone is able to access your home LAN? Are you able to ping its IP address? Did you give your iPhone a static address? If you gave it an address double check your DNS settings. If you didn't give it a static address, do you see it in your routers DHCP table?

threezero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
well i didn't restore it.... i chain restart it about 10 times. restart when it finish try internet, doesn't work, restart again using home plus power button method and it mysteriously started working again.

And I did nothing to the phone before it went haywire. I remember very clearly cause i was using safari 5 minutes before it started going crazy. I know I may have jumped the gun a little since i did jailbreak mine.. but looking at the bigger scene, seems like unjailbroken owners are not 100% satisfied either.

I think one thing you guys have to agree with me though... the 2g was a MUCH more stable and better built than 3g. I have a few friends and relative that still uses the 2g on old firmware unjailbroken. They have absolutely no complains about stability.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
How did you determine that your iPhone is able to access your home LAN? Are you able to ping its IP address? Did you give your iPhone a static address? If you gave it an address double check your DNS settings. If you didn't give it a static address, do you see it in your routers DHCP table?

i ping my phone with my mbp. and than i tried opening ssh connection and datacase. All worked flawlessly

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
well i didn't restore it.... i chain restart it about 10 times. restart when it finish try internet, doesn't work, restart again using home plus power button method and it mysteriously started working again.

And I did nothing to the phone before it went haywire. I remember very clearly cause i was using safari 5 minutes before it started going crazy. I know I may have jumped the gun a little since i did jailbreak mine.. but looking at the bigger scene, seems like unjailbroken owners are not 100% satisfied either.

I think one thing you guys have to agree with me though... the 2g was a MUCH more stable and better built than 3g. I have a few friends and relative that still uses the 2g on old firmware unjailbroken. They have absolutely no complains about stability.

Glad it worked out for you.

In regards to the stability of the 1st gen iPhone, there were many issues with it at first. I think the reason there is more uproar this time around is people were expecting (and rightfully so) to maintain the stability that the 1st gen had with the release of the 3G. That obviously didn't happen out of the gate but I personally am confident that Apple and AT&T will get things straightened out.

Fortunately (knock on wood), I haven't had most of the issues people are complaining about. Either that or my expectations are not as high.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
sigh.... its happening again..reseting doesn't work anymore. reseting settings within the phone didn't work. I'm just gonna take my g/f advice and leave it for now use 3g.

hopefully firmware 2.1 comes soon and make it more stable

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
dude this is clearly a problem with your home network, I don't understand how you can blame apple for your own lack of expertise

Try this, go into your routers settings and shorten the time your dhcp server gives out ip adresses ( should be under lease times )
If that doesn't work try to see if you are at least connected to the router ( under yoiur router or iPhones network settings)

bedge20

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
I disagree with this being a hardware problem. I am having the exact same problem on my iPhone, as is my father. I configured my phone on my home network when I got it 3 weeks ago and it was working fine. My father bought an iphone Friday and tried to use it on my network this weekend and it would not work. I then tried mine and it will not work either. I have changed nothing since I last used it on my home network. I have not touched the setting on my wireless router or my iPhone.

The only thing I have done is upgrade my iPhone software from 2.0 to 2.0.1. My father is running 2.0.2. Just be clear, I have tried everything threezero has tried including:
  • Resetting the iPhone
  • Removing the WiFi configuration and setting it up again
  • Rebooting my home network router
  • Comparing every setting on my iPhone to 1 of 4 working laptops connected to my home network
My father is returning home tonight and is going to try his phone in his home network, but I expect him to have the same problem there. I'll update this post if I have anything new to report.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
On my original iPhone I had this problem right after the 2.0 update. I finally fixed it by restoring the phone, and it hasn't reappeared since.

I could see that I was connected to a wifi network but couldn't connect to the internet at all. It happened on my home network, my local library network, and my friend's network, so I knew it wasn't just mine. Anyhow, I think it's a bug in the software, a restore might fix it...

bedge20

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
I tried a network reset earlier today and it didn't fix it. Interestingly, my father got home and his phone works fine on his network. Maybe it has something to do with the existing networks configured on the phone when you do the software update. I'm out of town now, but I'll try the restore when I get home on Friday.

ninocalifa

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
It is not his network problem.

My iphone suddenly stopped the wifi services too. Not only at my home, but also at my work. I have many different networks at my work, and they all work fine, but I can not connect to any of them anymore.
So, as much as people do not want to blame apple on this, I do believe it is their fault.
Now here I am searching for a solution on the net that I will probably not find.
BTW, I did not jailbrake my phone, it is all original.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
My iphone suddenly stopped the wifi services too. Not only at my home, but also at my work. I have many different networks at my work, and they all work fine, but I can not connect to any of them anymore.
So, as much as people do not want to blame apple on this, I do believe it is their fault.
Now here I am searching for a solution on the net that I will probably not find.
BTW, I did not jailbrake my phone, it is all original.

before you go and blame everyone but yourself please tell us exactly the things you have done to try to fix this solution

also if you could try and post your iphone settings, ip address, dns servers, etc

ninocalifa

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
I didn't do anything. The phone is in the same state as when I bought it.
It was very simple. One moment was working, the other was not.
Like I said before. We have innumerous routers at my work, and all of a sudden it stopped connecting. I thought it was only there, but when I got home, it did not connect either.

snoopydoo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
SAME PROBLEM!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS, MAC FANS BLAMING THE CUSTOMER SINCE IT MIGHT BE DUE TO THIS OR THAT.

FIRST IT WAS WORKING FINE, SET UP AN OPEN NETWORK FROM THE MACBOOK. THEN I FINALLY ADDED A PASSWORD AFTER MUCH RESEARCH ON HOW TO DO THAT AND TURNED IT ON AND OFF. NOW IT DONOT WORK WORTH CRAP. YEAH IT S IS CONECTING BUT STATES IT CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. WHO KNOW WHY. WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THOSE ROUND ABOUT WAYS OF FIXING IT. APPLE CLEARLY DOESNOT CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

I LOVE APPLE, BUT IT IS A COMPANY YOU CAN ALSO HATE. (MY FIRST THREE IBOOKS WERE ALL DEFECTED, HENCE I LEARED SO MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS, WHICH I CARE NOTHING ABOUT)

FIX IT APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SENDING THIS TO SJOBS@APPLE.COM. NOT GONNA BE BUYING THAT IPAD ANYTIME SOON.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
SAME PROBLEM!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS, MAC FANS BLAMING THE CUSTOMER SINCE IT MIGHT BE DUE TO THIS OR THAT.

FIRST IT WAS WORKING FINE, SET UP AN OPEN NETWORK FROM THE MACBOOK. THEN I FINALLY ADDED A PASSWORD AFTER MUCH RESEARCH ON HOW TO DO THAT AND TURNED IT ON AND OFF. NOW IT DONOT WORK WORTH CRAP. YEAH IT S IS CONECTING BUT STATES IT CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. WHO KNOW WHY. WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THOSE ROUND ABOUT WAYS OF FIXING IT. APPLE CLEARLY DOESNOT CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

I LOVE APPLE, BUT IT IS A COMPANY YOU CAN ALSO HATE. (MY FIRST THREE IBOOKS WERE ALL DEFECTED, HENCE I LEARED SO MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS, WHICH I CARE NOTHING ABOUT)

FIX IT APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SENDING THIS TO SJOBS@APPLE.COM. NOT GONNA BE BUYING THAT IPAD ANYTIME SOON.

Maybe you should buy another frickin' caps lock key with the money you save.

tuknaits

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
wifi problem

i am having a particularly annoying problem with my jailbroken iphone 3G.. my laptop is connected to the wifi network but my iphone though shows connected doesnt get thru to the internet..
Please help.. have done hard reset n reset the network settings
Help

desilord

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Wifi suddenly stopped working on iphone 3g

I have a 3G phone with software version 4.2.1(8C148)
Modem Firmware 05.15.04
My iphone suddenly stopped connecting to Wifi. All other wifi devices in the house are working good.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Hard Reset / Reboot
2. Restore
3. Reset Networking settings
Called Apple for help. They asked for $200 to help :)
Any support from this forum will be appreciated.
Thanks
Desi..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.