Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
I would like to know if there is any way to convert .cbr files to to either a pdf or ebook file so I can read my comics on my iphone

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
yes that was the first thing i did but i didnt notice any mac progqms when i googled it. So i figured i should ask here in case someone knew of a program or knew of a way to do it without a progam

CartoonSnap

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Burbank
ComicRack (free comic reading application) makes it super easy to convert .cbr files to .pdf... just open the .cbr file in ComicRack and then "Save As" a .pdf file.

ComicRack's a super program, and it's free ^_^

hope that helps! --sherm

ceepee

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
I use iComic to read mine on my iphone, it reads cbz (zip files), to convert cbr's to cbz's I wrote a shell script that does it for me. You need to have the command line unrar in your path though for it to work.

Can share it if you want it?

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
I use iComic to read mine on my iphone, it reads cbz (zip files), to convert cbr's to cbz's I wrote a shell script that does it for me. You need to have the command line unrar in your path though for it to work.

Can share it if you want it?

OP : icomic can also read plain .zip files. What i do is unpack the .cbr with unRarX and then right-click and 'compress' the images into a zip. Very easy and Quick

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What PDFs? CBR comic files are either filled with jpeg or png, i have never seen one filled with pdfs

it's a little time consuming but I discovered you can use preview to join pdfs.

i unzipped the cbr to the jpegs/pngs/pdf. it's the first two you have to open each file and save as a PDF. then open the first PDF in preview. do a save as and give it a new name (in case you mess up and have to start over). then make sure the sidebar is open. you can drag the rest into the sidebar and then save them to the new file. As far as I can tell it only works with PDFs, not images.

still clumsy but better than nothing.

TMIR.Media

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Jomic

For those looking for a one step solution to converting CBR and CBZ files to PDF's i found Jomic works very well as it has a convert function which also does batch operations so if you have 50 CBR's all you have to do is start the process and then make yourself a cup of tea.

Credit to http://www.ehow.com/how_4547079_cbr-comic-book-files-pdf.html go there for full instructions.

Hope that helps.

imvaad

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Download: Jomic > Install > Open > Go To "File", "Convert" > "Add" desired .CBR files > Select Target folder > On right choose "PDF" > Convert.

Once complete: Load PDFs into iTunes under Audio Books > Select your phone in devices > Books > Sync.

And you're done.

To combine PDF files into one, I use Acrobat Professional.

noelboss

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Automator does the Job

I found that you can use Automator with the Action "New PDF from Images".

Open Automator, choose Service, Choose "image files" from the input dropdown menu from the Finder and add the Action "New PDF from Images". Save it as "Combine Images to PDF".

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-09%20at%2015.43.49.png

Now you can select images in the finder and rightclick > "Services" > "Combine Images to PDF"

Voila.

I have created a little Automator service, it takes all the images in a folder and combines them to a PDF titeled after the foldername. You can Download it here: http://cl.ly/3A2R24060D0n3l1Z3U0m

To install, go to Finder, press SHIFT + CMD + G and enter ~/Library/Services and place the unpacked File there...

Last edited:
Reactions: superberg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.