Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
My phone seems to be locked, with the itunes logo and image of a usb cord with an arrow pointing toward the icon. The only thing it will do is slide open to make an emergency call. There is a little lock symbol at the top. I connected to my mac to upload photos, and it wanted to upgrade softwear, so I clicked ok. Now in my Itunes screen, it says that the sim card is not supported and that i need a compatible sim card. I have been using this phone for a year with no problems. Did Apple find a way to lock any phones that are synced thru Itunes, that are not using AT&T? What do I do to get it get it working? Thanks

ichabodkky

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
You made a mistake when you said yes to the update. Your phone is trying to update to 3.1.3 which will update your baseband, which will kill your unlock.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Your in the states. The only avalible carrier is AT&T your unlocked iPhone during the last update relocked to AT&T.

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
How to unlock relocked phone

Where is the best place to find the correct instructions to re-unlock my phone? Will all my settings and phone book still be there?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cannot undo the baseband update that came with the firmware update.
You can still jailbreak it if its a 2G or 3G model but you will not be able to use it on anything but AT&T untill and if a new unlocked is released sometime in the future.
Lesson learned. Never attempt to update a jailbroken and unlocked iphone thru iTunes. Chances are it will relock and the jB and unlock is not a permanent thing. Everything is gone and back to factory settings once you update.
Sorry.

zachzach8888

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
thanks..so...

are u saying in this situation ..the iphone is as good as dead ...to be used as paper weight?

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
i

So it's not re-unlockable? I don't even know what G this phone is? I bought it unlocked and set for T-Mobile. It's 8GB and the model number is A1203.
What has to be released in the future for me to be able to unlock it? THanks for your help.

You cannot undo the baseband update that came with the firmware update.
You can still jailbreak it if its a 2G or 3G model but you will not be able to use it on anything but AT&T untill and if a new unlocked is released sometime in the future.
Lesson learned. Never attempt to update a jailbroken and unlocked iphone thru iTunes. Chances are it will relock and the jB and unlock is not a permanent thing. Everything is gone and back to factory settings once you update.
Sorry.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So it's not re-unlockable? I don't even know what G this phone is? I bought it unlocked and set for T-Mobile. It's 8GB and the model number is A1203.

Now we're getting somewhere.
I think its a 2G iphone. In this case it changes everythhing. :D
You can JB and unlock it for use on Tmobile again.
It has the silver metal back and not the black plastic back housing right?

Follow this if you're using a Windows computer:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

Mac:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7430

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Now we're getting somewhere.
I think its a 2G iphone. In this case it changes everythhing. :D
You can JB and unlock it for use on Tmobile again.
It has the silver metal back and not the black plastic back housing right?

Follow this if you're using a Windows computer:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

Mac:

YES!! Yea!! It does have the silver metal back. I am going to try to do it as soon as I can have a few minutes to work on it. Fingers crossed. Thanks so much. I will let you know if it goes as described.

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
YES!! Yea!! It does have the silver metal back. I am going to try to do it as soon as I can have a few minutes to work on it. Fingers crossed. Thanks so much. I will let you know if it goes as described.

Ok, I know this sounded too easy. I followed the directions, to the point where it says to connect the phone then start Itunes. When it opens, I get the message saying that the sim card is not supported. It shows the device on the left, but no where in the window can I find "restore". I feel really stupid if I am missing it, but its not there. Should phone be on or off? And should sim card be in it? I tried it with it out, but only get message saying "cannot activate because sim card is not inserted". I must be missing something. Is there a way to restore without using Itunes? Also another quirk. Not sure if this means anything. When I connect phone to desktop mac, Iphoto opens and shows phone as device. I quite Iphone, and then open Itunes and got message this time saying unknown error (-9807). Again, thanks for your help.

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Also take out your Tmobile simcard while you're doing all this.
And put the phone in DFU mode. Follow this:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Ok, I put the phone in DFU mode, and did the restore. Then opened Itunes, but all it will do is tell me that there is no sim card in the phone, and that it cannot be activated. If I click ok, the phone will not show up as a device in Itunes. What now? Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You're on the right path.
Now you continue from this part of the tutorial with the rest.
Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the firmware ipsw. Click the Open button to continue etc...
Just follow the tutorial. exit itunes and do the rest of the stepslisted with pictures and instructions. Make sure you download all the stuff you're going to need and save them on your computer etc...

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Ok, I put the phone in DFU mode, and did the restore. Then opened Itunes, but all it will do is tell me that there is no sim card in the phone, and that it cannot be activated. If I click ok, the phone will not show up as a device in Itunes. What now? Thanks

I think you're misunderstanding something here, either that or I am. If you did a restore in DFU mode, then you did it in iTunes, so iTunes was already open. Why do you say "Then opened iTunes"? If the restore happened OK, then you go on to step 3 of the iClarified tutorial and follow the whole thing through.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
you need to enter the "Restore" mode rather than DFU if your iPhone 2G has been previously unlocked/JB'ed

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
I think you're misunderstanding something here, either that or I am. If you did a restore in DFU mode, then you did it in iTunes, so iTunes was already open. Why do you say "Then opened iTunes"? If the restore happened OK, then you go on to step 3 of the iClarified tutorial and follow the whole thing through.

Got another step further. I must have misunderstood something in the instructions, but got thru page 11 where it says to make sure phone is off. Did that and clicked "next" but it went directly to page 15 where it says "waiting for reboot". So far after 15 minutes, nothing happening. Should I still do step 10 to enter DFU mode, even tho it says waiting to reboot? Sorry to be so dumb. Thanks again.

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
You're on the right path.
Now you continue from this part of the tutorial with the rest.
Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the firmware ipsw. Click the Open button to continue etc...
Just follow the tutorial. exit itunes and do the rest of the stepslisted with pictures and instructions. Make sure you download all the stuff you're going to need and save them on your computer etc...

I did not see anywhere to exit Itunes? At what point do I do that? I am afraid to do anything to screw up what has already happened. If it is waiting to reboot,, should Itunes still be open?

eyewear2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
I did not see anywhere to exit Itunes? At what point do I do that? I am afraid to do anything to screw up what has already happened. If it is waiting to reboot,, should Itunes still be open?
Well, I guess Itunes must have been closed at some point by the programs being installed because it is not open, but I did not close it, so that confused me. It is still showing redsnOw open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.