Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Just a thought but I think that it would be cool if you could Text Message from the iPad.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
You can send text messages already by using TextFree, AIM, Skype, etc.

Course from the same number as your phone...only Google Voice managed it and you'll have to jailbreak for that (or hope that Apple reallows the app back).

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
its not a phone. can you text with a tv? computer?

it makes no sense and this device was not built that way.

Yes you can. I have a mate who routinely sends out texts via his computer as part of his job roll. He finds it a far more effective tool than using e mail or written letters

I have another mate who texts via his tv, he has a mac mini hooked up to his 50" TV

It might not make sense to you, and that is fine we're all different, but texting on the iPad makes perect sense to me. It's something I'd use all the time if I could get an inclusiive unlimited texts package

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
It might not make sense to you, and that is fine we're all different, but texting on the iPad makes perect sense to me. It's something I'd use all the time if I could get an inclusiive unlimited texts package

Agreed. I found this thread while doing a search on my iPad trying to figure out how to do this very thing.

/gravedig FTW

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
The iPhone dev team have hacked the iPad 3G to send text messages using a text/phone enabled SIM.

Do a search had you can find the YouTube video of it!

Whether they release it as a bit of software I don't know. Right now it uses command line terminal to send messages.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
its not a phone. can you text with a tv? computer?

it makes no sense and this device was not built that way.

You know TXT messages are just emails to 5551236789@txt.att.net or whatever the wireless carrier is right? You can hit a phone from any email client if you know the number/provider suffix - they just can't reply...

bradsnw

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
I travel out of the country allot. I always text my gf from mail.app. As stated above, send email to their phone number. She texts back from her iPhone and it always comes back to mail.app on my Macbook. I've never, ever had a problem with this.

In fact, I just tested again on iPad and it works flawlessly. And you CAN reply just fine. Were both on AT&T iPhones.

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
buy a google voice beta account invite on ebay for 99 cent and sms for free all you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.