Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sychee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Just curious if it is possible to tether iPhone 3G S to iPod Touch?

If that is possible, then the same can be achieved on the iPad (fingers X). I can't wait to get my hands on the iPad, but don't want the 3G model.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yes it's possible if you JB.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009

If that is possible, then the same can be achieved on the iPad (fingers X). I can't wait to get my hands on the iPad, but don't want the 3G model.

Officially, you can not. The way the official tether software works is bluetooth, and on OSX it creates a specific network. I don't believe this works on iPhone/iPod Touch cause the bluetooth profiles are limited.

That being said, if you jailbreak, you can install MyWi which will allow your iPhone to create a Wifi Hotspot. This will work with iPad. However, note, that MyWi sucks battery ridiculous. It even drains when it's plugged in, thats how much battery it uses.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If ATT was smart -- that's if -- they would allow this for $15/month (already paying $30 in data, so it would bump monthly data to $45/mo, comparable to a regular 3G account). It would be part of the contract, not pay-go like the iPad 3G plan, so ATT would get a guaranteed larger revenue stream & make customers happy.

Of course that is fantasy b/c we all know ATT has its head in the sand.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

There is a difference, the iTouch does not have USB in while the iPad does.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I thought that it still wasn't 100% confirmed that we won't be able to tether our phones with the iPad. It sure would be nice if I could tether as I flat out refuse to pay for anymore data plans when ice got such a huge one that I can't even full use up every month.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I thought that it still wasn't 100% confirmed that we won't be able to tether our phones with the iPad. It sure would be nice if I could tether as I flat out refuse to pay for anymore data plans when ice got such a huge one that I can't even full use up every month.

untill At&t officially offers tethering it will not work.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Yeah, I've heard of that. It's a pain though; first you have to JB the phone and then you have to purchase that app, which from what I've read significantly eats through the battery life of the device, and also you have to either reregister with the developer or pay for the app again if you get a new phone. No thanks. Too much hassel. :(

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Come on AT&T!! If we were to tether, we are only using one device to browse and cosume that data. We are not going to further "tie-up" the network. Sure, we are not buying an extra data plan for the iPad or notebook, but we are still only using one device at a time. Even if we are doing more than one device, at any given time, we are browsing one device at a time. Perhaps, the data plan should be capped at 10 gig. So, it would not matter how many devices we use.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Would MyWi work in 3G network (not 3G / 3GS iPhone)?

Well MyWi is an iPhone App, so you'll need an iPhone to use it. However, any phone that creates a Wifi hotspot will work for tethering.

As for you guys talking about until AT&T officially allows it, I still don't think it won't happen as for the reason I said above: "The way the official tether software works is bluetooth, and on OSX it creates a specific network. I don't believe this works on iPhone/iPod Touch cause the bluetooth profiles are limited."

So even if AT&T turns on Tethering tomorrow, it still wouldn't work with the current software we have now.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And where, exactly, is this mysterious USB connector?

The dock connector? Oh right...so basically the same as the iPod Touch.

Exactly, in the same way a DVR player/burner is the same as a DVD player.

Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are the same.

The iPad recognizes USB in, the iTouch does not.

Therefore, the iPad "could" be tethered over USB while the iTouch could not.

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Exactly, in the same way a DVR player/burner is the same as a DVD player.

Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are the same.

The iPad recognizes USB in, the iTouch does not.

Therefore, the iPad "could" be tethered over USB while the iTouch could not.

Ears pricking up here. Care to expand on this, as in, what leads you to think / know this ? (Genuine question, not argumentative).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ears pricking up here. Care to expand on this, as in, what leads you to think / know this ? (Genuine question, not argumentative).

I don't know anything new, but what I do know is that there is a USB dongle that provides a new kind of data input. There is nothing like that for the iPhone so tethering might be available via that USB input which is why I said its different than tethering to the iTouch.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know anything new, but what I do know is that there is a USB dongle that provides a new kind of data input. There is nothing like that for the iPhone so tethering might be available via that USB input which is why I said its different than tethering to the iTouch.

I could be mistaken but I suspect the whole reason they are doing that is to have some type of protection through the adapter in order to prevent tethering and other stuff. It's not a normal USB port so they will have to write some drivers for it meaning they will most likely have control over what people can use the USB port for. In all reality we have mini USB ports on phones so there is no reason they couldn't have put a conventional USB port in the iPad.

IMO WiFi tethering is definitely the best method for the iPad, I don't have an iPhone anymore so can't really comment on it but on Android using a Nexus One WiFi tethering works great battery drain is normal and you have the added advantage of being able to swap out batteries on the phone if you did manage to drain the battery.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

Not saying it's true, but I think a close example of what he's trying to explain is the mini displayport connector for like the MacBook Pros vs the one on the new iMac. The iMac one can be used as a target display but the MacBook Pro cannot.

There's an accessory for cameras. However, keep in mind that just because Apple is releasing it when the iPad comes out, doesn't mean that it's only for the iPad. The dock connector is USB. USB works both input and output (that's why you can sync). Of course we'll never know until Apple releases it, but I'm pretty sure that the iPad accessories will work for the iPhone/iPod touch (except maybe the VGA connector...I think Apple would restrict this through software or something).

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Sorry but that dongle is nothing new. I have one setting on my desk right now. It can be used with an older iPod to connect a camera to the iPod and transfer photos. No reason any iPod/iPhone/iPad couldn't support if Apple allowed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.