Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I was asked to get some information for a friend of mine who has a MacBook, black, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, and a 160GB HDD. He got a HD video camera, and would like to edit and make simple movies on it. He wanted to know if getting a PowerBook G4, the last-gen HighRes version, would be better at basic video editing than his MB, due to the discrete video card. The maximum he can afford would be $550, any suggestions, and he did say that was the maximum he could afford, no more, no matter what. Any suggestions?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
His MacBook will crush any PowerBook. GPU helps nothing in basic editing, only in professional apps and then he should be looking at Mac Pro, not PowerBook :cool:

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
His MacBook will crush any PowerBook. GPU helps nothing in basic editing, only in professional apps and then he should be looking at Mac Pro, not PowerBook :cool:

I see, would there be any benefit for editing, because of the larger screen?I'm not shocked, but surprised about the integrated graphics being better than the Radeon Mobility 9700, the integrated graphics are that much..better than the 9700?

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Tell him to spend that money maxing out his Ram and buying a faster hard drive, then use the extra to buy an external monitor if he really needs the extra real estate.. Buying a powerbook would be like owning a 2008 Ford Mustang and trading it in for a for 2002 Ford Taurus (of which I happen to own, and let me tell you it is not very fun).

The X3100 is by no means powerful, but they're at least as good as (if not better than) the discrete graphics in the powerbook.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Tell him to spend that money maxing out his Ram and buying a faster hard drive, then use the extra to buy an external monitor if he really needs the extra real estate.. Buying a powerbook would be like owning a 2008 Ford Mustang and trading it in for a for 2002 Ford Taurus (of which I happen to own, and let me tell you it is not very fun).

The X3100 is by no means powerful, but they're at least as good as (if not better than) the discrete graphics in the powerbook.

Ok, that sounds good, I will tell him that, and just to max everything out. If possible, could he, if he wanted to, swap the logic board from a 9400M-equipped MacBook. Only if cost allowed, would this be a plan, but is it worth suggesting?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Ok, that sounds good, I will tell him that, and just to max everything out. If possible, could he, if he wanted to, swap the logic board from a 9400M-equipped MacBook. Only if cost allowed, would this be a plan, but is it worth suggesting?

Slight design differences make some of the macbook boards non-interchangeable - some of the cables plug in in different ways or have different connectors altogether or screw holes appear in different places.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Slight design differences make some of the macbook boards non-interchangeable - some of the cables plug in in different ways or have different connectors altogether or screw holes appear in different places.

Plus it would probably cost less to sell the current MB and get a 9400M model than to buy a 9400M board and try to sell the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.