Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Hello,
I recently purchased an iBook G4 off eBay to use as a portable machine for use on airplanes and such, and I am planning on upgrading the HDD to a 60GB drive when it arrives. For anyone who has done this, what tool should I use to lift off the bottom case? The iFixit guide says a spudger, but I can't seem to find any retail stores that carry it. I would rather not order it online, since the iBook will be here in a few days and I want to upgrade the drive as soon as it arrives. It is arriving with a 30GB Drive. The other specs are: 1.2GHz G4, 768MB RAM, and a combo drive. The laptop is in good condition with all rubber feet on the bottom and screen, and I managed to get it for $215 shipped, which I think is pretty good.

Thanks,
Robert

Sundevil84

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
I too have a ibook G4 and want to upgrade my HD. My question is after I upgrade can I use the OS that originally came with the computer, or do I have to buy a whole new OS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.