Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Is there a program like mywi, but for a computer? At my work our computers are hooked to the net ethernet wise, but i was wondering of there was a program like mywi that could use the computer wireless card to send out a wireless network.

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Ad-hoc Internet Sharing

I'm not sure about Mac's but I know there's a feature built into Windows that allows for this. It's basically the same concept that MyWi uses as it just sets up an ad-hoc network.

A quick Google with your operating system + ad-hoc internet sharing should yield you some guides.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
On a Mac, a computer that has an ethernet internet connection can share it's internet by using its Airport to set up an Ad Hoc WiFi network. Not as effective as a router, but I used a set up like that in my house for 6 months.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
And any systems administrator worth their weight in salt would have things set up so that you'd need an administrator password to turn this function on in OS X.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I use my Mac to share it's internet connection as a wifi network for my iPhone. You need an ethernet connection, though. Settings > Sharing > Internet Sharing

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Today at work i tried to make an adhoc network but the option wasnt there, under set up a connection. (vista)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Today at work i tried to make an adhoc network but the option wasnt there, under set up a connection. (vista)

That's probably because, as several people told you, any qualified sysadmin will have disabled the feature on company computers. They don't want you opening up holes in their network just so you can stream Pandora to your iPhone.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The latinist, applejuice

Most companys would have this but, the company is family owned and I don't remember them doing anything to our computer in our department, up front in the offices might be different though. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't disabled, but I might be wrong.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
The latinist, applejuice

Most companys would have this but, the company is family owned and I don't remember them doing anything to our computer in our department, up front in the offices might be different though. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't disabled, but I might be wrong.

My thought is if it's not there, SOMEBODY disabled it when the network was setup.

Small companies generally outsource these types of services unless someone in the family has the ability to set up the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.