Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Noa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hello,

I want to know how I can assign a password to a couple of folders that I don't anyone opening. Thank you... I saw this done in a movie but since its a movie I don't know if its possible...it was done on an Macbook

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Rather than password protecting a folder I usually create an encrypted disk image in Disk Utility and password that. It creates a mini FileVault-like area that will prompt for a password when you try and mount it but otherwise can be encrypted with up to AES-256 (pretty strong). I then drag my files into that as I would if it were a USB key or the like.

Eric Noa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Thank you guys. But if there is a way of protecting just a single file with a password please let me know how its done. Thank you

chrysrobyn

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Thank you guys. But if there is a way of protecting just a single file with a password please let me know how its done. Thank you

Buddy, I know you're new here, but you asked here for a reason. You already know full well that if it were easy and possible, you would have had a response quickly. Instead, you have two people vouching for the same easy method. Creating a disk image that's bigger than the file you're looking for, and putting your file in that is very nicely integrated into the OS. It's simple, straightforward, and accomplishes all the goals you stated.

Since nobody here is vouching for any one method, you might try google for "macosx encryption". http://www.google.com/search?q=macosx+encryption and sift through the dozens of ways to accomplish exactly what you state. http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/ may or may not do exactly what you want, but I guarantee it's harder to use.

frankandsteph

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
Buddy, I know you're new here, but you asked here for a reason. You already know full well that if it were easy and possible, you would have had a response quickly. Instead, you have two people vouching for the same easy method. Creating a disk image that's bigger than the file you're looking for, and putting your file in that is very nicely integrated into the OS. It's simple, straightforward, and accomplishes all the goals you stated.

Since nobody here is vouching for any one method, you might try google for "macosx encryption". http://www.google.com/search?q=macosx+encryption and sift through the dozens of ways to accomplish exactly what you state. http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/ may or may not do exactly what you want, but I guarantee it's harder to use.

I am new also, but no need to be a jerk to the guy. The first two stated the best way, they did not say only way, so he was simply asking for more help.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Beware applications that claim to password protect a file or folder. If they aren't using encryption, they're not protecting it at all. A lot of them simply ask for a password and then hide/unhide the file, which is protection only from a novice. As noted, creating an encrypted disk image is the absolutely safest way.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Here's the bad news: the mac is unfortunately in a vastly inferior position to pc when it comes to easy encryption options. Soon fanbois will crawl out of the woodwork to claim otherwise, but that's the truth. Yes, you can encrypt folders and files as indicated by creating an encrypted disk, but it's not the same. And there are third party apps, but again, they are all vastly inferior to what's available for windows. For example, I've used this on windows, and I've searched for years, and years, for something equally good (fast, convenient, fine-grained, full-featured, free and of equal security) on os x:

http://www.axantum.com/axCrypt/

and there is nothing, I repeat nothing that even comes close on OS X. Again, look at the list I made point by point: fast (right click menu), convenient, fine-grained, full-featured, free and of equal security.

This is definitely a huge hole in the OS X arsenal, no matter what a thousand fanbois say.

Bottom line: you are out of luck compared to windows - that doesn't mean it can't be done on the mac, just that it will not be as good given the list of characteristics I gave above.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My encrypted discs work just fine for me
But thanks for trying to make me feel inferior and like I am missing something wonderful... I know you did your best

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
My encrypted discs work just fine for me
But thanks for trying to make me feel inferior and like I am missing something wonderful... I know you did your best

I'm glad your encrypted discs work just fine for you. And be happy that you have not experienced anything better - sometimes ignorance is bliss. I mean that seriously, not in a mean way. Sometimes I have some piece of gear that works well, and I'm happy with it, until a friend introduces me to a vastly superior gear, and all of a sudden, I'm dissatisfied with my old gear... because I experienced better. It's fine only if I can get the new gear, but if I can't, well, what's the point of making me aware that there is better out there? Unfortunately, I am not as lucky wrt. this software, because I did experience the best (AxCrypt), and sadly cannot get it on a mac, or anything even remotely as good. Sucks for me. For you, I recommend never running AxCrypt on Windows... it'll just make you dissatisfied with what you have on OS X.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I can't live without AxCrypt myself, in windows that is.

Isn't it possible to run it in OSX through Parallels or VMware Fusion?

(don't have a mac yet, so I can't test it)

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I can't live without AxCrypt myself, in windows that is.

Isn't it possible to run it in OSX through Parallels or VMware Fusion?

(don't have a mac yet, so I can't test it)

I'm not sure if it can be done, but even so, I need to encrypt files and folders in OS X - how would that work when I'm in the OS X environment... sure, when I switch to the windows that's fine for files generated there, but what about stuff generated in OS X?

Anyhow, there is nothing on OS X that's within a thousand light years of what AxCrypt does on windows... sad, but true.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I have the impression that Mac users are more willingly to pay for software, so I don't see why anyone wouldn't make something similar for OS X.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Espionage - uses tricks to hide the fact encrypted folders are really disk images.

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

I agree encrypted folders would be handy, but a small disk image is not too bad. I keep a seperate one for each year of statements and put the disk image files in with the other bill stuff. Double-click, enter the password (can have finder auto-remember if you want) and see the disk/folder in the sidebar.

I don't know how Windows does it (never having seen it - since it doesn't come in Home and work doesn't use it) - but encrypted disks are good at keeping the files in the trash encrypted, and the slack space in files encrypted, etc.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Linux ports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.