Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendallsmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
I want to Share My A600 USB Cricket Broadband internet Connection on my linksys wireless router. I have a mac running Leopard.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
I'm not explicitly familiar with your situation, but are you saying that the source of your broadband is a USB device? If so, you need an always-on computer effectively to be your router. Assuming this device shows up in your network settings, you can turn on internet sharing and tell your computer to share this connection over ethernet. Connect this to one of the LAN ports on your linksys, and turn OFF the DHCP server on the linksys, as your host computer will become your DHCP server and router. The linksys will only be a switch/bridge.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I guess you are trying to share your access from a cellular broadband connection. You may want to find out if connection sharing is allowed in your service agreement.

Though unless you are out in the country where other services are available. Why don't you go for a likely cheaper and faster land connection with a higher data usage cap?

Otherwise Detrius' suggestion should work.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
If I understand it, you are trying to do this:

Internet --> USB Modem Stick --> Router --> Mac(s)

This would probably be the best solution. It would replace your Linksys router. These devices are designed specifically for what you are trying to do.

This is a similar product, but it doesn't have any wired ethernet ports.

Netgear also makes a wireless router with a USB port for a 3G modem but I haven't heard great things about that one. Here is the link to the Netgear one, but I personally wouldn't buy it.

HaydenHarnet

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I think CradlePoint would be the best solution , It works great with me , the best part that it is compatible with all devices laptops phones xbox etc...

If I understand it, you are trying to do this:

Internet --> USB Modem Stick --> Router --> Mac(s)

This would probably be the best solution. It would replace your Linksys router. These devices are designed specifically for what you are trying to do.

This is a similar product with ethernet ports ,linksys e2000 review.

Netgear also makes a wireless router with a USB port for a 3G modem but I haven't heard things about that one.
Here is the link to the Netgear one, but I personally wouldn't buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.