Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey I have an apple tv now and I love the interface but its stuttering and freezing just drives me nuts. I want to get a mini but cant afford a brand new one. Was wondering if id run into the same stuttering and freezing if I picked up a g4 mini on ebay? Also was wondering if a g4 mini would be powerful enough to run mame as thats something else ive been wanting to use in my ent center.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have a G4 mini. I originally bought it as media computer. Will leopard, it doesn't have enough jam to do much at 1080p.
So as a media center pc , I wouldn't recommend it.
I've been pondering a hackintosh.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Well the apple tv doesn't do 1080p anyway is it powerful enough to do DVD content?

dotheDVDeed

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
G4 mini lacks a remote and you'll have to get a USB to optical adapter (not too common) to get 5.1 sound out.

I suggest digging a little deeper and getting an Intel-based mini capable of running Snow Leopard and all OSes to come from now on.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
A core duo mac mini would probably do the trick for you. Much more functional and can still do the basics that the ATV accomplishes.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow. I use my apple TV all the time and don't have any issues....

yeah I have mine flashed and all I wanted was the USB access. But it installed XBMC and Boxee by default im going to try getting rid of those and see if it helps. its like I have to push the remote like 4-5 times before I get a menu response then all 5 clicks hit at once and im way past the menu item I want. Also the video studders here and there. My other option is to sell my macbook to get one but I like having an OSX solution all in one for the times when I really need osx. Im not going to want to mess with it hooked up to my tv other then to play videos. I didnt even know about the G4 not having a remote either thanks guys for that. ill probably pass on the G4 and hold out.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Wow. I use my apple TV all the time and don't have any issues....
Absolutely no problems with either of my AppleTV's. Initially I was concerned about the storage space (both 40Gb models). But since 3.0 came out I have had no stalls or restarts with the device or iTunes.

The only problem is occasionally I'll have a message that 'it's not a format AppleTV understands...' but that is few and far in between and only effects my south park playlist at the moment.

But as to your question, and your current stance...

I suggest factory reset to AppleTV and wait till you can afford an intel mini. Like others have said, you'll want the added security of being able to update software, as opposed to limiting yourself to 4 year old tech...

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.