Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114148-paypal2_1.jpg

PayPal yesterday launched a major upgrade to its free iPhone application, offering a number of new features including the ability to initiate money transfers between users' accounts by "bumping" iPhones.
+ Brand new look and feel!
+ Bump: Easily start by bumping iPhones.
+ Withdraw funds from your PayPal balance.
+ Request Money: Get paid faster, it's the easy way to ask for the money you are owed.
+ Split the Check: Instantly split the bill, calculate tip, and request everyone's share.
+ Collect Money: Ask for contributions from a group for an event, gift, or cause.
+ Set Reminders: Never miss rent or a bill.
+ Refer the app to a friend
The PayPal application's "bump" feature utilizes the Bump API from Bump Technologies, the company that gained significant publicity when its Bump application for swapping photos and contacts between iPhones was featured in one of Apple's iPhone ads.

114148-paypal2_2.jpg

Article Link: PayPal iPhone App Revamped, Adds Bump-to-Transfer

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It'll give new meaning to "bumping into an old friend." Now it can pay off!

It's interesting that they threw in features like "Split the Check" and bill reminders, for which there are many other apps.

IxStyleZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
San Antonio, TX
this would come in handy if you run into a situation where you need something but have no cash on you.
kinda like an online credit card which you can use with other people.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Can't say I'm interested in most of that stuff, even though I use Paypal daily. This is a winner though,

+ Withdraw funds from your PayPal balance.

I'm hoping it means/includes the option to transfer money to bank account..

Yes, I did it yesterday. It would be nicer if it would just print out the money. :)

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
By the way, HUGE security issue:

1. Log into the Paypal app using your password.
2. Put your phone to sleep
3. Anyone that steals your phone can turn it on, slide to unlock, and then send themselves all of your money.

DrummerB

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008

3. Anyone that steals your phone can turn it on, slide to unlock, and then send themselves all of your money.

You should send them a mail. If I'm right, apps "know" when they are sent to sleep mode, so this could have been done better.

By the way, I can't find this app in the Swiss AppStore.. :confused: Is it only available in the USA?

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
You should send them a mail. If I'm right, apps "know" when they are sent to sleep mode, so this could have been done better.

By the way, I can't find this app in the Swiss AppStore.. :confused: Is it only available in the USA?

I did shoot them an e-mail. And yes, there is a section called applicationDidBecomeActive that runs every time the iPhone wakes up.

Give it 24 hours, it should show up at the Swiss store too.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Interesting that you say this......got me thinking. So I tried it with the Bank of America app that I have on my iPod Touch.....same thing as you describe, if I put the Touch to sleep while logged in, when I wake the Touch up, I'm still logged in. Not sure if the iPhone handles it differently but it sure makes me think about how secure it is.

-Kevin

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Sounds like this might be good for street-level drug dealers. I'm sure it helps if you don't carry around wads of cash. They can get a simple possession charge instead of distribution.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!

IMHO...if you're going to have apps like this on your iPhone or iPod Touch you should have it passcode locked. I know it's a pain in the butt....but really smart.

Steve

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
IMHO...if you're going to have apps like this on your iPhone or iPod Touch you should have it passcode locked. I know it's a pain in the butt....but really smart.

Steve

Yes, a good idea... But that doesn't excuse the gaping security flaw.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Sounds like this might be good for street-level drug dealers. I'm sure it helps if you don't carry around wads of cash. They can get a simple possession charge instead of distribution.

You're right, almost all the drug users around have iphones.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm sure the drug lords don't want a paper trail.

I see this as a cool way to pay allowance to your kids. To bad they charge a service charge to bumping funds to friends. I don't see this taking off unless they offer free bumping... unless they do but I'm too lazy to research it.

nelsonx

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Is it just me or has the developer gone over board with italising everything in the app. Design looks stupid..

Aleco

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009

Don't put your phone to sleep while running the app...?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
this would come in handy if you run into a situation where you need something but have no cash on you.
kinda like an online credit card which you can use with other people.

I dont understand how this app would help you if buy something if you had no cash on you? What are you supposed to do, swipe the iPhone? :confused:

Jeff321

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008

Steve

Agreed.

And the app looks really good, going to grab it now.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Yes?

BTW, it's buggy. In my PayPal history, multiple entries show the same detail (item, etc). The thing's confused.

And, yes, the italics is out of control.

Ok let me rephrase my question, "I don't understand how this app will let you pay for something if you have no money on you?"

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

I'm not sure if this is true with the PayPal app, but I have SafeNote on my iPhone and when I click the phone into sleep mode, it asks for the pswd when it wakes up. My iPhone is not pswd protected, but the SafeNote app is pswd protected. This means that any app can add this feature. It's just a matter of whether PayPal implemented it or not.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

You would be pretty stupid to do that. You would leave an electronic paper trail from everyone you ever did business with. If the police arrest you for possession, they then have permission to search your things - and yes, police can search your iPhone if they have probable cause. The arresting officer does not know how to search a pswd protected iPhone, BUT...... Investigators do know how to access locked iPhones. There is actually a company that contracts will all of the major police and FBI agencies around the world and provides software and classes for investigators to hack into locked iPhones. Yep. The police investigator hooks up the Apple USB cable, inserts the software CD into their computer, and with training from a $2500 per person class (law enforcement ID required), can hack into the average person's "pswd locked" iPhone. How do I know about this? It was on MSNBC one night. You might be able to find it on Youtube.

Alternatively, a judge could always subpoena your account records from PayPal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.