Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
USB3 will be widespread this year. can the current ipad be upgraded to usb3 by just upgrading the dock to usb cable? we don't want to upgrade to the ipad version 2 just to have usb3. In other world, does apple dock connector have enough bandwidth for usb3 speed?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
In other words, does the iPad have enough bandwidth to support USB 3.0 speeds?

It may be due to the flash memory storage, but I doubt it uses it, as the OS is quite "simple" and small and does not need 572MB/s (as if USB 3.0 would ever reach that in real virtuality).

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Uh, no it won't. Intel doesn't even have plans to have it integrated in their motherboards till 2011...

you're kidding right. many motherboards, asus, Gigibytes, already have usb3. external hhd already have usb3.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
you're kidding right. many motherboards, asus, Gigibytes, already have usb3. external hhd already have usb3.

Yes, but its usually all intel in the budget/less expensive PC's, which make up the vast majority of average consumer sales. If you can buy it at best buy, it's probably all intel.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
In other words, does the iPad have enough bandwidth to support USB 3.0 speeds?

It may be due to the flash memory storage, but I doubt it uses it, as the OS is quite "simple" and small and does not need 572MB/s (as if USB 3.0 would ever reach that in real virtuality).

not sure I understand you. if you need to copy a movie with 25GB to ipad, usb2 would take forever.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Yes, but its usually all intel in the budget/less expensive PC's, which make up the vast majority of average consumer sales. If you can buy it at best buy, it's probably all intel.

not true. it is OEM like Dell and HP who will make it mass. HP and Dell already have USB3

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
If Apple truly wants to set the iPad apart as an independent device, it absolutely needs some form of input (camera connector is a start, but make it unviersal, add a port for importing music from a drive, from a superdrive...make it so you don't NEED the computer for it to function).

:apple:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
not sure I understand you. if you need to copy a movie with 25GB to ipad, usb2 would take forever.

So you want to see a Blu Ray movie on that thing?

25GB for one video?

Sounds like two hours of DV encoded SD video, or 5 hours of 1080p video encoded with H264.

With USB it would take 14 minutes, not fast but bearable.

USB 3.0 offers 4.8/5.0 Gigabit transfer speeds, I doubt the flash memory on the iPad comes even close to that, maybe some hundred Megabits.

But we will know when we see the first benchmarks.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
So you want to see a Blu Ray movie on that thing?

25GB for one video?

Sounds like two hours of DV encoded SD video, or 5 hours of 1080p video encoded with H264.

WIth USB it would take 14 minutes, not fast but bearable.

USB 3.0 offers 4.8/5.0 Gigabit transfer speeds, I doubt the flash memory on the iPad comes even close to that, maybe some hundred Megabits.

But we will know when we see the first benchmarks.

my point was to copy big storage, whether it is blueray, one file or many files.

don't you have the need for big storeage and speed? High def content is the reality. you can't download quickly from itune with current internet speed

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
my point was to copy big storage, whether it is blueray, one file or many files.

don't you have the need for big storeage and speed? High def content is the reality. you can't download quickly from itune with current internet speed

i dont think 1% of the people here have usb3

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
For a device such as the iPad I dont see the need for usb3 now or anytime in the immediate future. How often are you going to be transferring huge amounts of data to your ipad? Watching more than 25GB of downloaded content on even a weekly basis seems absurd to me, that would mean youre downloading 100GB of content a month. I download a good amount of videos and I don't think I've hit 100GB in the past 6 months. I'm sure there are some of you out there that do download 100GB+ a month but the vast majority don't, and that's who apple is going to design towards. I would say the majority of people wont be putting anywhere close to 25GB a month on their iPad in which case usb2 speeds are more than adequate. Just my 2 cents...

Vid

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
When the time is right, Apple (or a third party) will release a dock connector with USB3 on one end. But that's probably a ways off. Also, when needed, I'm sure the same can be said for the USB-to-iPad connection kit.

I wouldn't count on it. They would have already needed to cook that ability into the IC that controls the USB connection. I suspect iPad gen 2 or 3 will support USB 3, definitely not until Apple laptops support it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If Apple truly wants to set the iPad apart as an independent device, it absolutely needs some form of input (camera connector is a start, but make it unviersal, add a port for importing music from a drive, from a superdrive...make it so you don't NEED the computer for it to function).

:apple:

Seems like an odd statement to make b/c if apple wanted to make the iPad an "independent device" it would have designed it as such. Maybe future iterations -- as flash storage gets less expensive -- will be stand-alone devices, but clearly its not the concept right now.

You make the statement "If Apple truly wants..." like it missed it's goal. Best I can tell it looks like the iPad is exactly what Apple envisioned it to be.

i don't think you understand my point. we are buying ipad to use for 1+ years. by next year, I am sure that more than 1% will have usb3.

True, but an early adopter that doesn't understand that is part of the game shouldn't be in the early adopter arena.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

Exactly. So having USB 3.0 wouldn't matter at all. The type of flash memory in in the iPad is the same that is used in a iPhone and every other phone one the planet, its not that fast. It doesn't have enough bandwidth to max a USB 2.0 connection. The faster processor in the iPad could help make things transfer faster then with the iPhone.

But if your transferring 25GB in one video, you may want to lean what Handbreak is. Or go get a cup of coffee while its syncing.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
What I mean is if someone has a device that uses USB 3 and has 2 can't use it. Like when 2 came out.

In general, an USB 2 device worked with a USB 1.1 computer, and vice versa.

Limitations that arose were if the bandwidth was such that it wasn't usable at the lower rate (USB 1 was very marginal for CD burning, for example). Or possibly video capture.

What does USB3 bring you? Moving the limitation from SSD and hard drives back to the drive, rather than the interface. But they still work. USB 3 ethernet adapters (full gigabit interface).

BlueSherpa

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
64GB iPad

For all of those people not seeing any need for a faster interface... My iPad is full and it takes forever to sync. I sure wish the interface were faster...

davwil

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
I have USB3 on my ASUS motherboard, when I plugged my iPad into the usb3 port in the vain hope that it would charge - which it didn't. Window advised me that I would get better performance from a usb2 port. :confused:

Cheers David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.