Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Officially Invites Developers to Submit iPad Applications to App Store

Apple today officially invited developers to begin submitting iPad applications to the App Store for inclusion in the grand opening of the iPad App Store at its launch on April 3rd. In the e-mail sent to developers, Apple invites app submissions for an initial review of their readiness for the iPad.
Quote:
iPad will begin shipping soon and your opportunity to be part of the grand opening of the iPad App Store starts today. Submit your iPad app now for an initial review by the App Review Team and receive feedback on its readiness for the grand opening.

Submit Your App by March 27.

- Build and test your iPad app using iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 5 available on the iPhone Dev Center. Only iPad apps built with iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 5 will be accepted for this initial review.

- Upload your distribution signed app through iTunes Connect by Saturday, March 27, 5pm PDT.

- The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

- You will also receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.

- Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store.
Apple has provided iPads to a select set of developers under tight security in order to assist them with preparing their apps for the iPad's launch. The vast majority of developers will, however, have to rely on the iPad simulator included in the iPhone SDK 3.2 for iPad for testing their apps.

Article Link: Apple Officially Invites Developers to Submit iPad Applications to App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:13 PM   #2
tymez
macrumors newbie

About time!
tymez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:16 PM   #3
pmz
Banned

Here we go! Devs, start yer uploads. Let's see how many Apps can get through Apple between now and April 3rd. With this public timeline and commitment on Apples part it seems likely that we could see hundreds of brand new iPad specific apps on launch day.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:17 PM   #4
neutrinosllc
macrumors member

This is great news. We're very excited to get Rock Show into the iPad launch.
neutrinosllc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:21 PM   #5
jeznav
macrumors 6502

Not sure how confident devs releasing apps without testing on the actual device first.

It sucks having to wait late April to test it on. I don't want to cross the border finding that it's sold out.

Last edited by jeznav; Mar 19, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
jeznav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:23 PM   #6
bindle
macrumors regular

I don't know how you can feel right sending an app out into the store without properly testing it on actual hardware first. Looks like launch day bugs won't be limited to just the OS!
bindle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindle View Post
I don't know how you can feel right sending an app out into the store without properly testing it on actual hardware first. Looks like launch day bugs won't be limited to just the OS!
I think Apple will test the apps on real iPads and let the dev know if it's ok or not.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:25 PM   #8
anthonyjr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeznav View Post
Hmm...shouldn't it be tested on the actual hardware first?
It sounds like they're testing them on an iPad for you, then letting you know how well it is working on the device functionality wise.
anthonyjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:26 PM   #9
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

...crickets...

...it'll be interesting to see how many (or how few) apps materialize, indicating confidence in this device.

Here are some things this device needs, that it is unlikely to get:

1. External Monitor - Plug it into your Mac, and the iPad bypasses its own OS, and becomes a second display.
2. Bigass Touchpad - Plug it into your Mac, and it becomes a big multitouch trackpad/keyboard.
3. Clone - Plug two iPads into each other in a hinged sleeve. One acts as your keyboard, and the other your monitor. A better MB Air.
4. Garageband, iMovie - To mix and edit iLife projects while out & about.
5. VLC! - Yeah, I know, not gonna happen
6. A "Move" option, so you don't need to have all your huge movies taking up all that room both on your ipad and your Mac. Move the file on to one or the other, (with moved files only being able to be moved back again...).
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:28 PM   #10
skate71290
macrumors 6502a

iTunes Distribution

i wonder how these apps will be presented on iTunes... will there be a separate library to show all your iPad apps, or will they be highlighted in some way as i am assuming iPad apps will NOT work on an iPhone/iPod Touch?
skate71290 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:32 PM   #11
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post
...as i am assuming iPad apps will NOT work on an iPhone/iPod Touch?
Developers have the option of creating "universal" apps that are able to be run on both platforms.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:33 PM   #12
err404
macrumors 68000

I'm surprised that they are accepting submissions while the SDK is still in Beta.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:35 PM   #13
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I think Apple will test the apps on real iPads and let the dev know if it's ok or not.
I doubt it. Maybe for select high profile apps, but there will be far too much volume to support that for everything.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:36 PM   #14
bindle
macrumors regular

Quote:
I highly doubt Apple willl be doing the extensive hardware tests that you'd do yourself. They're probably testing for basic stability (tap around and it doesn't crash), but nothing you yourself would test to ensure proper confidence in a release.

But who knows - they haven't stated when the store will actually open. Perhaps this is a preliminary round to gather some showcase apps for the launch. The worded it with "opportunity" and "considered" for the grand opening.
bindle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:37 PM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
I doubt it. Maybe for select high profile apps, but there will be far too much volume to support that for everything.
Well the article says this :

"The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

- You will also receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.

- Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store."
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:39 PM   #16
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindle View Post
Not to mention that the SDK is still officially a "Beta", isn't it? This roll-out could really be a mess, for one thing I think the idea of combining the iPhone and iPad app stores and universal binaries for the two is a terrible mistake.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:42 PM   #17
goobot
macrumors 601

its going to be fine. its just a bigger screen.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:43 PM   #18
FunkyJunk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
its going to be fine. its just a bigger screen.
Exactly! It's "just a big iPod Touch," right?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:44 PM   #19
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

This is getting exciting! Just a couple more weeks!
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

Developers who get an early iPad must meet rigid security rules.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...318_833402.htm

Nostromo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:47 PM   #21
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Developers who get an early iPad must meet rigid security rules.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...318_833402.htm
We know. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=880574
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:47 PM   #22
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeznav View Post
Not sure how confident devs releasing apps without testing on the actual device first.

It sucks having to wait late April to test it on. I don't want to cross the border finding that it's sold out.
Then why wouldn't you just reserve one for in-store p/u? That only requires an Apple ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Not to mention that the SDK is still officially a "Beta", isn't it? This roll-out could really be a mess, for one thing I think the idea of combining the iPhone and iPad app stores and universal binaries for the two is a terrible mistake.
Except we don't know how Apple is going to redesign the App store. I expect there will either be an iPad only check box option or a separate iPad store that includes compatible iPhone apps.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:47 PM   #23
carmenodie
macrumors 6502a

All hell is about to break loose now!
carmenodie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:48 PM   #24
Lordedmond
macrumors regular

sorry already posted

Last edited by Lordedmond; Mar 19, 2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: got beaten to the quote
Lordedmond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:49 PM   #25
mex4eric
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well the article says this :

"The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

- Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store."
Looks good to me:

1. The black room devs will have tested it on the real iPad.
2. The emulator in the SDK is probably pretty good.
3. App Review Team will check "the basic readiness" of the app.

We should have lots of iPad specific apps on April 3rd.
mex4eric is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion