Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the imminent arrival of the Apple iPad, it seems at least one major television network is updating their website to provide video playback support for new tablet device -- without Flash. CBS.com's website began displaying a couple of strange "iPad - test" video links, first noted by The Other Mac Blog.

We investigated further and found that clicking on these "iPad" labeled links in your normal desktop browser brings you to the usual Flash versions of these videos. Of course, these wouldn't properly play on the Apple iPad due to Apple's well known decision not to support Flash. However, if you visit CBS.com using the iPad SDK Simulator or spoofing your browser's User-Agent to impersonate an iPad, you are sent to a different version of the video:

000617-html5_500.jpg

This new version of the video does not yet work but appears to be based on HTML5. The css files reference HTML5 and have a number of "webkit" specific calls. Webkit is the browser engine used in the iPad's mobile safari. While the videos don't play, the "fullscreen mode" reportedly already works in the iPad simulator.

Apple has been a strong proponent of HTML5 and has suggested it as an alternative solution to Flash. It appears at least one major network will be supporting HTML5 alongside Flash video to deliver their content at iPad launch.

Article Link: CBS.com Prepping HTML5 Video Playback for iPad

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A821/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Just go HTML5 on everything already

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
And so it begins …

Expect ABC to follow suit shortly. There’s been rumors for months Disney is ditching Flash entirely on all their properties, which is a big deal considering pretty much every site they have is made in Flash.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
This is power

I'm amazed that even Apple can influence so many major companies to bend to their standards for a product that hasn't even been shipped to reviewers yet. What other company could do this? I bow to the all-powerful Steve.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Does HTML5 support interactive features/animation? and if you can you make it with Adobe Flash?

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
A lot has changed since the iPad was announced. It sounds like a lack of Flash won't be a problem at all. I am amazed at the power that Apple has, I hope it doesn't corrupt them too much.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm amazed that even Apple can influence so many major companies to bend to their standards for a product that hasn't even been shipped to reviewers yet. What other company could do this?
It's not just the potential for the unreleased iPad. It's also the possible benefit for other mobile devices that don't support Flash, including iPhones and iPod touches as well as released and unreleased products from Apple's competitors (like Android-based phones). It's not just about benefiting Apple users.

Apple hasn't shipped a single iPad yet, but there are over 65 million iPhones/iPod touches sold. If rewriting your content to HTML5 helps those users, that's a lot of eyeballs.

schady4

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
you can embed flash video in html 5 but the video has to be set to play automatically i think. Html 5 is extremely powerful, check out the <canvas> function, developers are already porting games over with it.

In any event CBS and NBC both have full episodes now on their sites, that's extremely good news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.