Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
After years of just thinking about recording my own music, I decided to make some progress this year, since I'm not getting any younger. But being the cautious type, I didn't want to plunk down several grands on gear at the outset, since a lot of gear preference is subjective, and I wanted to get a feel for my own recording/producing preferences. So, tired of waiting for the Macbook Pros to materialize and get firewire-based gear, I just decided to get a USB2 interface for my MSI Wind Hackintosh. So far, so good!

Another thing that made me go through with this was that I had made a promise to my son in the 2nd grade that I'd come in as his show-and-tell guest and show the kids how to record their own music. And that was yesterday, so I ended up ordering the equipment just in time. (Either that or show up and just read a story to the kids or some other boring thing.)

Being there for my son was an awesome and fun experience, although it was kind of embarrassing to lug gear into an elementary school. :p In just thirty minutes I was able to not only show the kids how computers can help record music, but actually got them to record two songs for me in that time slot! (Of course, they were real easy songs.. :D) And I had a blast last night mixing the tracks!

Which brings me to my question: Any of you have good tips for gaining real-life recording experience quickly? (Yes, recording my own performances at home is comfy, but I want to be able to gain some experiences recording other people eventually.)

(Edit: By the way, I got an E-MU 0404, and it's pretty good for the price, I'd say!)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Which brings me to my question: Any of you have good tips for gaining real-life recording experience quickly? (Yes, recording my own performances at home is comfy, but I want to be able to gain some experiences recording other people eventually.)..

Record your own work until you have a decent portfolio that you can demo. Then find people with no money the want recordings. You will be their only option. You will get to know a lot of high school aged garage bands that way.

The other way to gain exeriance even faster is to take classes at a local comunity collage. Many of them offer a program or even AA degrees in music production. The one near me has a studio with both proTools and Logic. With classromm instruction and supervised recording session twice a week you learn fast.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Record your own work until you have a decent portfolio that you can demo. Then find people with no money the want recordings. You will be their only option. You will get to know a lot of high school aged garage bands that way.

The other way to gain exeriance even faster is to take classes at a local comunity collage. Many of them offer a program or even AA degrees in music production. The one near me has a studio with both proTools and Logic. With classromm instruction and supervised recording session twice a week you learn fast.

I like the first recommendation a lot! :cool:

As far as recording my own work, I think I have enough knowledge to build up a portfolio as long as I don't get lazy. Thanks!

alexh123drum

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Manchester, UK
A few people I know get in touch with local bands via forums or myspace or whatever, and offer them to do a rough demo for free. I've seen people go into a rehearsal with only a couple of mics and a portable recorder and come out with a pretty good sounding rough demo. Obviously this would take a fair amount of knowledge and skill, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.