Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164029-fujitsu_apple_ipad.jpg

Patent Authority reports (via Silicon Alley Insider) that Apple has obtained the rights to the "iPad" trademark in the United States, settling what some observers had thought could be a contentious dispute over the name.
Apple now owns the iPad trademark. The trademark (Serial No. 76497338) was filed by Fujitsu in March of 2003 for their iPad wireless handheld computing device used by retailers. Records at the U.S. Patent and Trademark office show that the trademark was assigned to Apple on March 17.
International trademark filings made by an Apple shell company just before the iPad's introduction in January hinted at the tablet's name, although initial reports suggested that Apple had avoided addressing the issue in the United States, where Fujitsu had filed for a trademark on the "iPad" name in a similar field.

Evidence quickly appeared, however, showing that Apple had sought multiple extensions to required opposition periods for Fujitsu's application, and that Apple did apply for a U.S. trademark using a shell company separate from the one used in the international filings.

Apple's use of the name "iPhone" similarly stepped on the toes of another electronics company upon its introduction in January 2007, but Apple and Cisco were able to reach an agreement that permitted both companies to use the trademark.

Article Link: Apple Obtains 'iPad' U.S. Trademark From Fujitsu

murkurb

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
This was expected, but I'm sure a lot of people are breathing a sigh of relief.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
:apple: does anything it wants including taking over your name! :confused:

As long as the price is right. In this day of crowded IP, it is becoming more and more common to buy out those who have a trademark than to fight it, invalidate or contest it.

Some have said that one just needs to know how to legally and ethically bypass an attorney on retainer. In many cases, the IP holder may not even be aware of an approachable valuable out of court settlement where their representation may not cash due to no conflict incurred. Sometimes it comes down the local laws of disclosure in the Attorney Client relationship. When it goes international, that can take a while to understand.

I have seen this done many ways including challenging the attorney Claim of Representation and a filing a complaint to the local Legal Bar to see if said attorney is truly acting in the best interest of the client -- one hell of a arbitrary that can be argued over and over.

I'd love to know if Steve and company flew into Japan and stormed the Toshiba lobby asking for their CEO. Brash things like that have happened in the past.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
:apple: does anything it wants including taking over your name! :confused:

Actually, Fujitsu had given it up, and was trying to get it back again, but they waited too long. You snooze, you lose! Apple had already decided they wanted the name and they played the delaying tactic to keep the news under wraps, but it was obvious they were gunning for the name, and if they announce a shipping product (or in this case, soon to be shipping), they've got the upper hand.

jW

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I very much dislike the name myself.

You know, I've spoken to a number of people who have expressed dislike of the name. Myself, I'm rather ambivalent about it. But the funniest was my mother who said that the name immediately made her think of a feminine hygiene product... :D

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
You know, I've spoken to a number of people who have expressed dislike of the name. Myself, I'm rather ambivalent about it. But the funniest was my mother who said that the name immediately made her think of a feminine hygiene product... :D

Heaven help us if :apple: calls the large capacity tablets, MAX iPads. :eek:

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007

I think it was wise to announce when they did if only to let the sophomoric jokes about the name play out. That (thankfully) seems to have happened, and in a couple of months, no one will be able to think of anything other than iPad as the proper name for it.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I think it was wise to announce when they did if only to let the sophomoric jokes about the name play out. That (thankfully) seems to have happened, and in a couple of months, no one will be able to think of anything other than iPad as the proper name for it.

The potty-grade jokes may have some staying power, given the one room in the house the iPad may find regular use.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX

Heaven help us if :apple: calls the large capacity tablets, MAX iPads. :eek:

Agreed. For many, it will forever remind us of the MADtv skit. IMO, almost any other name would have been better. iPad doesn't even sound nice phonetically.

I really hope you guys don't think you're original. These jokes and references were old 5 minutes after the rumor of the name iPad was announced.

It was at best mildly funny then. Now... not so much. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.