Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grivy6190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I have a black macbook. My computer wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in and turned it on. I noticed that it said "Not Charging". I figured it would go away and start charging. I closed the computer and came back an hour later, and the light on the charger was still green and not amber. Why will my computer only turn on when plugged directly in, and why won't my battery charge? Do I need to get a new charger or a new battery, or is there something else I can do to fix this?

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
I have a black macbook. My computer wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in and turned it on. I noticed that it said "Not Charging". I figured it would go away and start charging. I closed the computer and came back an hour later, and the light on the charger was still green and not amber. Why will my computer only turn on when plugged directly in, and why won't my battery charge? Do I need to get a new charger or a new battery, or is there something else I can do to fix this?

I'm betting its the charger. I've had to replace one already (they did it under warranty) because it shorted (actually burned through the outer plastic). You may have a short. They can test at the Apple Store if you bring it in!

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Search around on here using MRoogle. Someone had nearly the exact same problem as you a couple of weeks ago.

Also
Plug in the charger
Look in System Profiler under Power
Post the text on the Power page on here, we can do some diagnosis and hopefully tell whether it's the charger, the battery or (gulp) something worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.