Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gratas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys,

So i have a 2ghz 17" imac desktop currently, i am updating my studio studio with macbook pro laptop and i want a display for home use, work, internet, and movies.

My current Imac desktop has the common screen problem with the horizontal lines and it really pisses me off cuz the thing is only 2 years old and it happened after 13-14 months of use, right after the warranty expired.

I want to buy a 30" or 24" Display from apple and i would be willing to pay the $900 for the 24" or even the 30", but Im worried that i will have to throw it away because it will have the horizontal lines, and if i get the Apple care, i mean it ends up to be as much as a imac desktop thats 24 inch.

Is it worth risking or there are some alternatives that you guys have choosen instead ?

Just curious to hear your take on this.

:apple::apple::apple:

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I'd only buy an Apple monitor if you have the money to spare and are really fussy about the design, stuff matching etc. You can find lots of cheaper options that are technically as good, as well as options that aren't quite as nice technically but are far cheaper.

Three drawbacks to using a TV as a computer monitor:

1 - max resolution is often lower. A 1080p TV has a typical max resolution of 1920x1080. A good large monitor can easily do 2560x1600. Depending what you're using it for, this may be fine or it may be limiting.

2 - TVs are generally "softer" when displaying text and may be less pleasant to use for word processing or even Web browsing as a result. This depends heavily on the TV. Remember that when a company makes a monitor, they pay a lot of attention to its useability as a monitor; when a company makes a TV, they pay a lot of attention to its useability as a TV. The underlying technologies are more or less the same, but a lot of tweaking is done for different market goals.

3 - a TV at 37" or larger is going to require you to sit back from it, more like sofa distance rather than computer desk distance. Again, this may be fine depending on your setup, just wanted to point it out in case you hadn't considered it. Sitting very close to a 37" TV will be VERY hard on your eyes, almost unworkable.

This is a subject of interest to me because I'm about to do the same thing. I am not a gamer, so I'm not worried about very high resolutions. I wasn't going to post about it here since my setup won't be Apple-based, but since I've gone this far, here's what I'm doing:

TV: Sony KDL-XBR8 46" U.S. model (already have this)
Home theater system: Panasonic 5.1 surround (same as I use for my other components - already have this)
Computer: HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t PC - i7-930, 9GB, 2TB, 1GB video card with HDMI, TV tuner, Blu-Ray burner, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio etc - I think those are the specs that matter for the thread
I'm also getting the HP 21.5" widescreen monitor for when I want to use the computer while watching TV or for whatever reason want to use a real monitor. I didn't get separate speakers, but the monitor has little speakers built in that will work for low-fi system noise type stuff.

I'm planning to hook it up via HDMI and use a wireless keyboard and mouse on a folding tray-type table at my sofa.

I placed the HP order yesterday and can follow up here to let people know how it works for me if there's interest, given that it's a non-Apple system.

Incidentally, I had no intention or thought of replacing my Apple TV when I bought this, but I have to admit that there may be a lot of duplication of features ... I'll see how it goes.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Hey guys,
I want to buy a 30" or 24" Display from apple and i would be willing to pay the $900 for the 24" or even the 30", but Im worried that i will have to throw it away because it will have the horizontal lines, and if i get the Apple care, i mean it ends up to be as much as a imac desktop thats 24 inch.

Is it worth risking or there are some alternatives that you guys have choosen instead ?

Just curious to hear your take on this.
Apple Cinema Displays are usually very highly regarded, but more so when they came out, than now, when their prices haven't dropped along with everyone else's. But that's a price thing, not a quality thing.

I would recommend checking out the LCD Thread over at Anandtech http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226. Although the recommendations on the first page don't seem to have been updated very recently, the thread is still active.

I bought a 24" Double Sight model awhile ago myself, and am quite happy with it. Today, it looks like Dell and HP have some very nice 24" monitors for roughly $500.

-Dan​

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
I agree. They are way over priced for what you get. They are gorgeous displays but you get monitors for way better prices. I bought a 1080p 28" Hannspree that was normally $800 for $400.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
To everyone that says the 24" Apple display is overpriced, please find me another 24" monitor with LED backlighting and an IPS panel that is cheaper. I bet you can't find one. (LED backlit TN-panel displays don't count.)

I acknowledge that there are cheaper monitors available that are perfectly good, but when using the term "overpriced" you have to compare only similar hardware. Remember, you get what you pay for.

capple

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
hmm...

If you dont know why some would pay more for monitors, dont bother. just get the cheapest one possible. Why the hell would you want to pay nearly $1000 when you could get one at $400, right??

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Agreed. Apple's displays are NOT overpriced. They are pro quality display with SIPS panel, which are very rare these days (see the list here). Cheaper LCD monitors are almost always TN panels, which are not capable of displaying more than few hundred thousand colors without resorting to dithering, and have much narrower real-life viewing angle.

Anyway, since you are posting this message on "Apple TV and Home Theater" forum, I am a bit confused as to your intent. If you are going to use it for viewing videos most of the time, by all means, get a quality LCD or plasma TV over computer monitor.

And if you are looking at 30" monitor, it is widely rumored that 27" LED monitor from Apple is due in June.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1668/11

Apple Cinema Display 20" vs Dell 2005FPW

"The Apple Cinema 20" display is also an incredible unit. In fact, if both monitors cost the same, it would be very difficult to choose either display"

http://review.zdnet.com/compare/lcd-monitors/apple-led-cinema-display-24-inch?productid=33418352

Apple Cinema Display 24" vs various competitors

"While performance is excellent, the Apple LED Cinema Display's one connection option paints it into a small corner that is welcoming only to newer MacBook owners." $877

"The Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 looks great, performs well, and hits the right price point." $300

"The 24-inch Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP display delivers across the board in performance, design, and features. It excelled with movies and games, making it not only an excellent choice as an entertainment display, but also great for everyday Windows tasks." $700

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6470175-7.html?tag=rb_mtx;pf_left_nav

Apple Cinema Display 30" vs Dell 30" LCD

"Taking three out of five rounds, Apple's 30-inch Cinema HD Display wins by an ever-so-slight margin." "That said, if adjustability is important to you, the Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP has a lot more going for it; ... Finally, at $300 less than the Apple, the UltraSharp 3007WFP may be the better deal, dollar for dollar."

Could go on. If there's some specific buzzword you've found on the Apple's list of components and you want to say you won't buy a monitor that doesn't have that item on its bulletpoint list, that's fine, but for all pragmatic purposes, Apple monitors are invariably more expensive than competitors with similar picture and features. They do have nice designs, which should not be ignored or understated. It depends your goals with the monitor.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple Cinema Display 20" vs Dell 2005FPW
This was way back when SIPS panels (which 2005FPW also used) were common and Apple's displays were expensive. Now, most monitors use TN panels.

Apple Cinema Display 24" vs various competitors

"The Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 looks great, performs well, and hits the right price point." $300

"The 24-inch Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP display delivers across the board in performance, design, and features. It excelled with movies and games, making it not only an excellent choice as an entertainment display, but also great for everyday Windows tasks." $700
Dell's 2408WFP is a VA panel monitor, which is pretty good, although not as good as SIPS. $177 price difference maybe significant to some, but many would argue Apple's monitor includes features to justify the premium, such as webcam, speakers, and LED backlighting.

As for Samsung, it's a good monitor if you are into gaming (where TN panel's fast refresh rate is more important than image quality and viewing angle). But again, those that are into image quality (e.g., photography, video editing)y would want a monitor that can display more than few hundred thousand colors without dithering.

Apple Cinema Display 30" vs Dell 30" LCD
Apple's 30" monitor is overdue for an update, so I wouldn't want to use it for the sake of comparison. But the replacement is rumored to be coming out in few months and likely boost features Dell lacks, such as LED backlighting, webcam, and speakers.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Some of the reviews are probably outdated, but they are all equally outdated when making direct comparisons. For example, that $700 Dell monitor is probably available now for a lot less. Unless Apple has made quantum leaps while others stand still, I doubt the relative competitive landscape has changed much.

If you rely on the monitor to earn your living (eg if you are a photo editor), then I wouldn't expect a few hundred bucks to matter one way or the other.

For my consumer-grade needs, I like Apple monitors but not enough to justify the cost. I also like HP monitors and just bought a 21.5" one for $144 as part of a package purchase. I doubt the technology is the same, but it looks good to me.

gratas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Wonderful guys, thank you for your great opinions and your time it took you to respond.

Nobody touched a very important sentence of my threard i originally posted, that my current 17" imac desktop has horizontal lines after 2 years of use, and i have seen plenty of people complaining about their 30" display having those too.

I do work profesionally to make a living with my computer but it is sound engineering and music production so i want less pain on my eyes cuz of long sessions. And i want the quality good enough doesnt have to be Rolls Royce because i do work with photoshop once in a while when budget is low i make my own designs, but that's no more than 4-5 projects a year, so i don't rely on it.

I live in a studio so i don't want to buy a 24" or 30" inch screen for my studio desk and than have another 40" tv on another desk for tv watching and movies. I would like to be able to stick with one product.

Budget, i dont mind spending the extra buck but i would rather do something else with my money and not waist it on things i dont need.

thank you

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Wonderful guys, thank you for your great opinions and your time it took you to respond.

Nobody touched a very important sentence of my threard i originally posted, that my current 17" imac desktop has horizontal lines after 2 years of use, and i have seen plenty of people complaining about their 30" display having those too.

I do work profesionally to make a living with my computer but it is sound engineering and music production so i want less pain on my eyes cuz of long sessions. And i want the quality good enough doesnt have to be Rolls Royce because i do work with photoshop once in a while when budget is low i make my own designs, but that's no more than 4-5 projects a year, so i don't rely on it.

I live in a studio so i don't want to buy a 24" or 30" inch screen for my studio desk and than have another 40" tv on another desk for tv watching and movies. I would like to be able to stick with one product.

Budget, i dont mind spending the extra buck but i would rather do something else with my money and not waist it on things i dont need.

thank you

I've had the 23" display for about 3 years now, and it's still working great. There was a pink tint issue on this model that I was aware of when I bought it, but fortunately I never experienced that.

Before that I had a Samsung which developed an odd flickering problem with green and shades of green. Had a Dell before that which didn't cause me any problems, but gave it to a relative when I got the Samsung. Also had an NEC before that which was awesome....only got rid of it because it I needed a larger monitor.

Don't know if that helps you make the call, as I don't think anyone knows the exact odds of a new 24" LED ACD having the horizontal line issue or similar, but I can tell you if it doesn't happen that it'll be a great monitor you'll love and keep for a while.

Look into NEC maybe and compare their warranty period...I would say treat yourself to NEC or Apple. For my next monitor, it will be one of those two companies.

A rolls-royce in this case would arguably be an Eizo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.